Table Talk??

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
horsetrailer

Table Talk??

Post by horsetrailer »

I have been told that there are 2 times asking your partner a question 'in play' is not table talk BUT yesterday I was told I was doing table talk? One question that is okay to ask is "shall I go out"? I have read in the rules that this is polite and should be done. I have had some partners say that the game should not continue unless this question is asked? The second question, that I could not find an answer to, in the rules is - "partner please play what you can, I am stuck in my hand". I was told last night this is table talk? Is it? I do not wish to violate the rules? Nor do I wish to offend someone. Thank you for your feed back.
msmontville

Re: Table Talk??

Post by msmontville »

I’d like clarification or some consensus on these situations too. When I play, in real life, it is a requirement that you ask your partner permission to go out. But, rules differ depending where you play geographically…and, as we know, between online and IRL. I personally am fine with players asking this during games. As to expressing that your stuck in your hand…and giving the ok for your partner to not wait for you — I’ve always view this as friendly and harmless banter. So, I would not consider either table talk. That’s my two cents … for what it’s worth. ;)
Mealsy

Post by Mealsy »

Asking whether to go out is fine however should be a simple yes or no type response. I don't consider asking to be a requirement though. So generally pick when/if I ask.
"partner please play what you can, I am stuck in my hand"
This is definitely Table Talk. As it is essentially telling your partner how/what to play.
LoriDean

Post by LoriDean »

I agree with Mealsy on both points. I think you'll find that some people don't mind, and some people will report you for a violation of rules. **shrugs** I would err on the side of caution.
RavingWanderer

Post by RavingWanderer »

I know I've mentioned this before elsewhere, but I specifically omitted implementing options for requiring (or disallowing) game-mediated going-out requests. This is something that IMHO should be decided and agreed at the table. (I don't think such requests are table talk, myself.)

That said, if someone wants a game-mediated requirement for going-out requests, a request for it should be added in the BGA bug reporting system.
marknibb

Post by marknibb »

you know, it is somewhat unclear to new players. What is considered table talk? Is it only allowed to ask if you should go out? Should that be "recommended" especially to new players? I suggested to my partner today to not go out until after I got a chance to play my "Foot" after "walking" to it.
I almost alway play that as a strategy, and since we don't have consistent partners, should that be expected to suggest strategies?
Mealsy

Post by Mealsy »

Have you read the strategy tips?
Gingersnap99

Post by Gingersnap99 »

In the table version it is required to ask your partner if you can go out. The BGA version doesn't have as harsh negative card penalties so I can see how on this platform that may not be as important. I did run into today a partner flat out confirming the cards they believed their partner had and telling them how they should play those cards. That's 100% table talk and impacts the game. I was shocked. I had only played the BGA version in solo. If players can essentially tell another player what they should do, the partners version of this game is very flawed.
Walt12

Post by Walt12 »

I am a newbie but any talk is table talk in my opinion.
jojothedodo

Post by jojothedodo »

It says in the rules that asking "May I go out?" is acceptable. And that it's the most reported issue, but it is allowed.

Return to “Hand and Foot”