Declining Game

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
ExaltedAngel

Re: Declining Game

Post by ExaltedAngel »

Blacktango wrote: 15 March 2023, 14:09 I'm pretty sure the most of the time, it's a player joining the table through the automatic lobby.
If they find multiple tables at the same time, they will join them all and, then, decline all but one of the game.
No, that's not happening: as soon as you are prompted to accept a game ready to start, you are removed from all the others
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

Sure, but I thought the problem was players joining and instantly quitting the table.
I think this may happen with autofilling : the lobby put you in multiple tables at the same time.
james1974

Post by james1974 »

thg0724 wrote: 12 February 2023, 16:17
davehernandez wrote: 10 February 2023, 21:30 Could someone tell me why someone would join a table and then decline the game when there are no "bad reputation" players waiting to play?
I sometimes decline if it takes too long for all players to accept. I figure if it takes them a long time to accept the game might go slowly too.
that's a big assumption, often I am looking at another window while waiting and don't notice the game start, but once the game starts I play quite quiclky
thg0724

Post by thg0724 »

james1974 wrote: 16 March 2023, 01:02
thg0724 wrote: 12 February 2023, 16:17
davehernandez wrote: 10 February 2023, 21:30 Could someone tell me why someone would join a table and then decline the game when there are no "bad reputation" players waiting to play?
I sometimes decline if it takes too long for all players to accept. I figure if it takes them a long time to accept the game might go slowly too.
that's a big assumption, often I am looking at another window while waiting and don't notice the game start, but once the game starts I play quite quiclky
It can also be quicker to start by just getting in the queue again rather than wait for someone who is looking at another window.
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

Blacktango wrote: 15 March 2023, 20:11 Sure, but I thought the problem was players joining and instantly quitting the table.
I think this may happen with autofilling : the lobby put you in multiple tables at the same time.
Oh, I don't think it works like that, by common sense it should just select one of the "ready to be filled up" tables, but I'm actually not sure, there might be a bug?

However I'm still prone to think it's just people who don't like someone on the table (for whatever reason) or who were trying to join a game with a friend and failed to do so
DrakeStorm

Post by DrakeStorm »

1) For a while I was trying to play only a certain ELO level (that you couldn't set in the settings), so every time someone joined my game (because they didn't read the presentation field that I wrote) and thus didn't fit the criteria, I would not start and leave (if they didn't leave).

Some people would re-join and I would re-quit. At one point, in the general chat, someone yelled "Why do you keep quitting my game?". And I was thinking - why do they keep joining my game. I didn't understand since I created the game, but now it seems like the auto-join feature might make it seem like you are the one creating the game. So I didn't join the game and then decline to start, it's them joining my game and I decline to start!

2) Also, with auto join you might end up in a game with too big of a skill difference and then quit. If you are ELO 150 and get into a game with someone with 600+, you might not want to play knowing you have no chance to win.

3) Or perhaps it is because the site isn't very user friendly when it comes to creating and joining games, so I could see people declining to start when they end up in a game they didn't expect.

4) Another reason is sometimes it takes forever to get a table together and by the time it does, you forget you were waiting and then when it pops up to start, you realize you don't want to play that game anymore (maybe no time to do it now, etc.).
cigma

Post by cigma »

DrakeStorm wrote: 17 March 2023, 06:19 For a while I was trying to play only a certain ELO level (that you couldn't set in the settings)
I am not sure how to understand your words: Do you say, Elo can't be set at all or the settings are not precise enough for you?

For those who don't know: As a host, you can restrict your table to a certain player level (and also a karma level and a language). In the new lobby, use the door symbol, in the old lobby, click on the link for game restictions at the right side over the player numbers.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
DriveElectric

Post by DriveElectric »

davehernandez wrote: 11 February 2023, 00:09 thanks Jellby. Some additional information:

1. I play 4 player games
2. This is a common occurrence, it probably occurs 50% of the games I start (I play almost every day)
3. Most of the time, they decline as soon as the players acceptance screen pops up (usually within 1-2 seconds)

Not sure if any of this is pertinent but thought I would share. Just seems weird that it happens so frequently.

Dave
I see similar activity. I think the game creation is a bit glitchy. I also think people are accidentally declining because the screen is changing so quickly on that screen when you are trying to accept games... Not sure. I would like to see game creation be clearer.
DrakeStorm

Post by DrakeStorm »

cigma wrote: 17 March 2023, 08:13 I am not sure how to understand your words: Do you say, Elo can't be set at all or the settings are not precise enough for you?
Not precise enough. There is a 200 ELO Gap between 2 of the ranks. It was taking too long to find a match with the higher (500+ I think), and I didn't want to play the lower (300-350 range) at the time, so I set it at 300+ (I think it is called strong), and wrote in the presentation field 400+ please.
thg0724

Post by thg0724 »

When I get in the queue and then switch browser tabs while waiting, I don't always notice when a game is formed and I need to "accept". Could this be the cause for the a significant portion of the declined games? There are much longer wait times for non-subscribers than for subscribers. I noticed I was missing game starts when I didn't subscribe for a couple months.

Return to “Ticket to Ride”