How can I notify members in a group????

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Wreckage

How can I notify members in a group????

Post by Wreckage »

I am in a group that has been inactive for several months. On the group page, I just announced a new event. Since there are no notifications when something is posted, it will most likely be months before each member happens to look at the group page. After all, it's been inactive.

There have been many request over the years asking for group notifications, but there has never been a response to these requests.

So, the only way to notify members, is to message each member when there is a new announcement. So I started doing this, which I have had to do from time to time in the past....it's a tedious task. But this time, as I was getting to about the 25th person to message, I was blocked by the site from messaging anymore.

The message blocking me said "Unexpected error: SPAM protection : you are trying to send too many messages". 20 minutes later I was still not able to message anyone, even to say "hi".

This seems like a good idea, that people on the site shouldn't be allowed to SPAM. I am for it. I think that's a great thing. However, BGA doesn't allow any possible way for me to notify members of my group. I suppose I could message 10 at a time, then wait an hour, and message 10 more...

Wouldn't it be nice if we have an option on every group page to turn on/off notifications for posts in that group?
https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=83489

Group admin get notifications when members post or comment, but I doubt they are aware that their members don't get notifications when an Admin posts something new. If your group has been inactive for a few months, and you posts an event for next week, chances are that none of your members will see this announcement until it's too late.
GeraldineMerida

Re: How can I notify members in a group????

Post by GeraldineMerida »

Yes, groups really don't work that well.

Would be great if there was a notification opt-in for each one.

You can use the 'Discuss' button to message everyone in your group at once. Much less of a chore, but still many people miss the pop-up box when they next log on.
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

It doesn't pop-up when they log on. It only pops-up if they are online when the message is sent. If the group has not been active lately, there is no reason for them to suspect that chat is being used, so they wont see it.
bananasplay

Post by bananasplay »

Wreckage wrote: 14 March 2023, 18:55 So, the only way to notify members, is to message each member when there is a new announcement. So I started doing this, which I have had to do from time to time in the past....it's a tedious task. But this time, as I was getting to about the 25th person to message, I was blocked by the site from messaging anymore.

The message blocking me said "Unexpected error: SPAM protection : you are trying to send too many messages". 20 minutes later I was still not able to message anyone, even to say "hi".
BGA's ridiculous policy of erecting invisible walls is one of its most aggravating aspects: here you are, engaging in a legitimate task when, with zero warning, you get punched in the face with this "spam protection" notification. No "hey, you're about to hit your maximum allowable messages in X time frame".

And how long are you blocked from sending messages? Who knows! Another invisible wall... geez.
Please check my profile for a list of bugs that need upvotes so that BGA will maybe get around to fixing them.
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

The frustrating thing is some of these players were messaging back to me with questions, and ofc I could only stay silent. I think about an hour later I was starting a conversation with someone, and on the 3rd message I was blocked again for 20 minutes. A little later I "Spammed" another 25 members or so, notifying them about the new announcement. I just went a little slower this time.

Within the first couple hours I had positive replies from for about 1/2 of the people I messaged. Most of the others did not log on that soon. Unlike other "Spam", they actually want to get this notification. It's too bad there's not a notification when something is posted in a group.

I think blocking Spam is good. But without notifications, we need some way of telling members something was posted.
RothanaRae

Post by RothanaRae »

I have just come searching for an answer to this very question, albeit from a different perspective. I've been searching for information on how to turn on notifications for my main group/guild that I'm in because I wanted to be told when someone posts a new invite, rather than needing to remember to click on Community, then find the name of the group and click on it, in order to check for new posts. Alas, it's almost a year later from the OP, and it sounds to me like there is no way for me to be notified?
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

On the main page (https://boardgamearena.com), you can see the activity of your groups at the feed bottom section.
This is not like a notification, but you can see all the messages of the groups you are a member of.

And if you post a message in the conversation, then you will receive a notification when someone replies to it.
JCase16

Post by JCase16 »

BGA please add an ability to receive email or push notifications for groups. Because of all the other extra stuff on the home page, and the "pull" nature of that information, I don't get notified when messages occur in my groups. I have 7 messages on my homepage and 1 of them is actually important to me and it's from a group. The others tell me that my friends signed up for tournaments or won a game for the first time. Honestly, who the heck cares if my friend won a game for the first time. I MIGHT care if they join a tournament but generally I do not. And why can I post there? What the heck would that even do?

Is there any way you could make it so I could do the following:
- Allow me to tailor what shows up in that list of notifications?.
- Allow me to tailor what shows up in my in-game game history. I don't want to see that my friend is now online. I wan to see just my game history.
- Allow me to receive email/push notifications when a group I belong to gets a new message

Groups are almost useless unless everyone is very proactive in regularly checking for messages. Please add these things or tell me how I can better use them if I'm using them poorly.

Return to “Discussions”