JUST learned that 90 degree junction can be flipped...

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
starbar102

JUST learned that 90 degree junction can be flipped...

Post by starbar102 »

I'm not blaming anyone but myself for this, but because Railroad Ink is so easy to pick up, I only skimmed the rule book when I first learned to play this game online. 322 games in, when I played in real-life for the first time, someone told me that the dice can be flipped too, not just rotated. I said, "no, that's not how it works on BGA". Today I considered mentioning that on this forum, when I then read through the rules to make sure I was right. Well, I wasn't. So then in my next game, I finally notice the little arrow above the 90 degree junction die that allows you to flip it. I'm kicking myself, because I vividly remember many games where I said to myself, "If only I could flip this junction the other way!"

Anyway, I tell this story for a few reasons:

1. The rule about flipping the die is small and very easy to miss in the rulebook, and it only applies to that one die (in the base game, not sure about expansions).
2. The "flip" button in the game is the same color, and the arrow itself looks very similar to the arrows used to turn the die.
3. If someone were to skim the rulebook, and assume all pieces can only be rotated, it's very easy to miss that additional button for that one die, especially on mobile devices.

Does anyone else agree that the "flip" button should probably be a different color, or maybe have a better "flip" icon instead of another arrow? For idiots like me, I think one of those two changes would really help people notice it more and end up learning about that very important rule simply from the UI and not have to find it in the rulebook.

I'd like to hear some other player's thoughts on this and if this was problem for anyone else. If enough people agree, I'll open it as a suggested change.

Thanks,
Steve
Octothorpe

Re: JUST learned that 90 degree junction can be flipped...

Post by Octothorpe »

You are not alone!
Komandor Tarkin

Post by Komandor Tarkin »

I agree with you, it took me same time to discover this.

I suggest two arrows, pointing opposite direction would be more readable
Palini

Post by Palini »

I will join the club. Been there, done that. :D
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

One more to the club :oops:
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

Komandor Tarkin wrote: 11 March 2023, 19:48 I suggest two arrows, pointing opposite direction would be more readable
one arrow, with two arrow-heads?
just add a second arrow-head on the arrow that is already on the button.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

I probably had approx 30 plays in before I realized. It’s totally not obvious or intuitive that it’s a valid option. I incorrectly assumed it was a challenging limitation to deal with. I’m not sure even now what tipped me off to the availability of the option, but I’m sure glad I figured it out before I taught my family on the real game at the table.

It absolutely makes sense once you realize that the button is there. I think the icon appearance is less important than simply writing in the rules, in big bold letters, right at the top of the page, that flipping the elbow is an option.

The fun of discovery is not lost though. No button highlighting is needed ... let them be enlightened in due time. You only get to discover it once ... and it's so fantastic when you do.
Last edited by SquashEngineer on 04 March 2024, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
frieda ferkinberg

Post by frieda ferkinberg »

I feel horrible! I accused another player of cheating because of this. Obviously I missed it too!

Return to “Railroad Ink”