Card text has become blurry

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
father nurgle

Card text has become blurry

Post by father nurgle »

Since my last game of on 02/18/2023, the card text has become too blurry to read without hovering the mouse over. This is the case for multiple players and browsers. Zooming just makes it worse. Does anyone know what happened?
Blur2.png
Blur2.png (77.83 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
Remkar

Re: Card text has become blurry

Post by Remkar »

Unless my memory is completely failing me, nothing has changed.

It looks like I've been playing for around 600 days, and it's been blurry in the basic view (only gets crisp when you enlarge the card with a long hold) since the first day I played as far as I remember.

I tend to play on my phone over 99% of the time, though, so my memory of the PC browser interface is probably less certain.
father nurgle

Post by father nurgle »

I questioned my memory as well, but I've never got into the game before and thought "this is unplayable" (and abandoned game). On a small screen you probably wouldn't notice anyway... on PC it looked to me like the cards had less pixels than before :cry:
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

Actually, just checked my browser (Edge on Windows 11), and things are NOT blurry.

High res and super crisp, even if I majorly enlarge everything. So you might want to check again
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

It may depend on whether the game uses https://x.boardgamearena.net/data/theme ... /cards.jpg (blurry) or https://x.boardgamearena.net/data/theme ... ds_big.jpg (crisp). I don't know how that's decided, though.
father nurgle

Post by father nurgle »

Interesting Remkar, I just checked again and it is "back to normal". That seems likely Jellby. I'd love to know how to prevent it happening in future.
Blur2.png
Blur2.png (110.27 KiB) Viewed 2368 times
father nurgle

Post by father nurgle »

Well... I just played again and it was blurry. But after refreshing the page a bunch of times it finally became clear. I'd love to know what is going on.
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

father nurgle wrote: 20 March 2023, 05:41 Well... I just played again and it was blurry. But after refreshing the page a bunch of times it finally became clear. I'd love to know what is going on.
A dev might know.

Maybe there is a way for devs to request information (RAM available? Internet speed? I don't know, something that might vary over time), and if your system is borderline (or fluctuates a lot), maybe sometimes it returns numbers low enough that it loads the lower resolution images in an attempt to keep the game loading at a reasonable speed (like how it recognizes I'm on mobile and loads the lower res images).

All conjecture obviously, but something like that would be my first guess based on the data we have.

Either that, or it's server side. If the server is getting too many requests, I suppose it could be set to send the lower quality images to help keep the game loading in reasonable times for people. Again, not sure if that's something devs are able to code in or not, though.
ryll3

Post by ryll3 »

We abandoned a game yesterday, since it's unplayable under given stat, that the cards are more or less unreadable. Sad, since the game seems really good. What's going on?
beps_

Post by beps_ »

On my computer, it seems to depend on the browser zoom level. If I decrease the zoom below 100% and refresh the page, I get the high-resolution cards. However, having the zoom above 100% results in low-resolution cards.

Return to “Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization”