why 3p for Arena?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Stuff by Bez

why 3p for Arena?

Post by Stuff by Bez »

2p seems like the most skill-testing of the playercounts.

It really is a game all about competition and light denial, and playing in 3p/4p brings in the possibility of one player being targetted.
Fletcheese

Re: why 3p for Arena?

Post by Fletcheese »

The starting arena format is whatever the recommended number of players are for the game on BGA which generally matches whatever BGG says. I agree with you and hopefully it will change next season.
Babbuc49

Post by Babbuc49 »

My main question is really why heavy shadow?
Stuff by Bez

Post by Stuff by Bez »

I think that heavy shadow is the more strategic way to play. I have not played enough to be sure, but I think I'm in favour of that, since it is meant to be the 'advanced' mode, and Arena is meant to be for folk who know the game well.
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

For the next season, the decision will be made by the players.
Like for all the games, the players who played the most in the previous season become Gurus. They will then have access to a private area on BGA to discuss and vote on the next arena format.
Stuff by Bez

Post by Stuff by Bez »

How does voting happen?

I became a guru, but it looks like voting has already finished?

In any case, I think there's a question of why this was the starting settings. Is that usually decided by the programmer?

I would be in favour of making playercount typically lower, at least for the first season of a game, since:
1) it makes it easier to find games
2) 3p adds potential politics, which feels wrong.
Etoclas

Post by Etoclas »

Hi!
I completely agree with you.

Photosynthesis is a tight and strict game that, in my opinion, shines when played in 2.
I would recommend the Heavy shadow variant as well, since it brings a lot more strategic and tactic choices to the table.

PS: remember that with Heavy shadow you aren't allowed to Collect a Large tree, thus creating very interesting situations in the late stages of the game.

I'm not a Guru yet, but I strongly recommend 2 players and Heavy shadow.

Have a good day!
Marco
Stuff by Bez

Post by Stuff by Bez »

In another thread, someone suggested that the reason Arena mode for next season is fixed is to avoid having really short seasons.

So though the current settings will remain for next season (which is also this season as rankings roll over I think), we can vote to change it for the season following.

I encourage folk with opinions for whatever playercount/settings to discuss here, since everyone can see the chat (not just 'gurus').

And to anyone who would like it changed, I encourage you to play a lot, become a guru, and then vote next season.

If you want to play a lot but don't like 3p games, anyone can invite me to a 2p game and I'll accept. One move/2 days please - I will probably play faster but I need some grace for when I can't play for a while.
Stuff by Bez

Post by Stuff by Bez »

Fletcheese wrote: 20 March 2023, 14:49 The starting arena format is whatever the recommended number of players are for the game on BGA which generally matches whatever BGG says. I agree with you and hopefully it will change next season.
I've been pondering this, and for Arena (where it's meant to be about testing skill), I wish the default setting was 2p (or the lowest possible above 1) for every game.

I enjoy Photosynthesis 3/4p as a social experience. But there's no doubt in my mind that basically any game becomes more skill testing at 2p compared to 3p+.

Furthermore, 2p allows more folk to find/start games.

After that, go ahead and let the gurus choose.

But as a default, surely ARENA mode - by definition - should be about what is most skill-testing, not what is most enjoyable around a physical table (which is what BGG would record).

Return to “Photosynthesis”