Why do some people not block with the robber in the first few rounds?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Kaladry

Why do some people not block with the robber in the first few rounds?

Post by Kaladry »

Is this some unwritten rule that if you roll a seven in the first few rounds you move it to an empty space and not steal from someone? Because you bet if I roll a seven the first round I’m using that to block and steal from you…
pascqualoo

Re: Why do some people not block with the robber in the first few rounds?

Post by pascqualoo »

Hi,
is just a strategical choise.
Sometimes i prefer to improve the production of resources for everybody, and try to trade.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Maybe others think something along these lines?
Kaladry wrote: 25 February 2023, 13:35 I give personal red thumbs to people who block because I abhor that kind of gameplay. I don’t play in the arena because I’m playing to have fun and that strategy is not one that makes the game fun for others. I won’t block you so if you block me and it’s obvious you only did it to block, then you get a red thumb.
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

There's also a style of play / house rule that some people use, where you don't put the robber on anyone until they have at least 3 points.
Kaladry

Post by Kaladry »

Jellby wrote: 13 March 2023, 11:59 Maybe others think something along these lines?
Kaladry wrote: 25 February 2023, 13:35 I give personal red thumbs to people who block because I abhor that kind of gameplay. I don’t play in the arena because I’m playing to have fun and that strategy is not one that makes the game fun for others. I won’t block you so if you block me and it’s obvious you only did it to block, then you get a red thumb.
You’re quoting me from another board game with different strategies and gameplay. This has no comparison to Settlers of Catan.
JeaMarie

Post by JeaMarie »

Kaladry wrote: 13 March 2023, 19:34
Jellby wrote: 13 March 2023, 11:59 Maybe others think something along these lines?
You’re quoting me from another board game with different strategies and gameplay. This has no comparison to Settlers of Catan.
Thank goodness.

IMO blocking is a huge part of this game. I go along with the waiting until 3 points if someone asks, but I find it a bit annoying, honestly.

Recently I was in a game where someone would complain in the chat every single time someone used the robber on one of their spaces -- sometimes complaining that you should only use it on the person in the lead but then, when they were in the lead, they still complained! I gave them a personal thumbs down because it was so irritating to have them give commentary on everyone's moves and constantly complain. Using the robber is just part of the game!
Kaladry

Post by Kaladry »

JeaMarie wrote: 14 March 2023, 18:48
Kaladry wrote: 13 March 2023, 19:34

Thank goodness.

IMO blocking is a huge part of this game. I go along with the waiting until 3 points if someone asks, but I find it a bit annoying, honestly.

Recently I was in a game where someone would complain in the chat every single time someone used the robber on one of their spaces -- sometimes complaining that you should only use it on the person in the lead but then, when they were in the lead, they still complained! I gave them a personal thumbs down because it was so irritating to have them give commentary on everyone's moves and constantly complain. Using the robber is just part of the game!
In Settlers it’s literally part of the game and the point of the most common dice roll. If you don’t use it to block it feels like a wasted turn. I also always expect to get stolen from so that it doesn’t come as a surprise when they do. It’s more a pleasant surprise when I don’t get stolen from, and sometimes I really question why they didn’t steal from me. xD

I haven’t yet been in a situation where someone asked in the chat to not block until scoring a point when I did roll a seven so I haven’t decided what to do there yet. I’ve now played a game where someone mentioned it but the other person had a point so I just blocked them as I would have anyways. Otherwise I still block if both players have 2 points who I think is in a better position.

And yes there’s lots of complaints of “why are you stealing from me?” No matter what you choose. They might have the material I want, might be in the lead, might be close to a split I want and I want to try to hinder them so I can get there first, or it might look like they’re in the better position to overtake the lead (ie other player only is in lead by longest road or most armies and doesn’t have as many settlements). And in the end it’s our decisions who to block and what our own reasoning is.
Sandpiper Nolo

Post by Sandpiper Nolo »

People who don't block on the first turn seem quite kind, which might make the other players avoiding blocking/stealing from them later in the game. Even as a selfish strategy, it may be effective.

But I'm guessing the people who do it usually are just kind people!
tboard

Post by tboard »

The better question is "Why bother playing the game?" Way too much blatant cheating/kingmaking/playing as a team.
Panthergirl

Post by Panthergirl »

JeaMarie wrote: 14 March 2023, 18:48
The whining and complaining about the robber is laughable. Honestly, I wish there were an option to turn off chat. It doesn't add anything to the game. I don't need to know if you have "0" resources that I'm asking to trade for, just reject the trade. Done. Nine times out of ten, the chat is used to cry "Seriously??" and "Is this two against one??" Maybe the majority of players are 12 years old, but if that's not the case then people need to grow up. There's no rule that says one has to steal from the lead player...as others point out, there are many strategies when it comes to stealing/robber placement. If it's obvious I'm not going to win the game then you can be sure I will try and secure second place by going after the player who is threatening that position.

All that said, "friendly robber" (not stealing from those with only 2 points) is a nice way to play. I just don't see too many people doing it so you could end up wasting a turn if you do it and then they go after you on the next roll. But hey, you can always cry "WHY ME???". :lol:

Return to “Catan”