Disable chat

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
SofyC

Disable chat

Post by SofyC »

I've been playing Hanabi for quite a while now, I was an addict back then, lost interest, and now again I find myself playing over and over. But it wears me down the toxicity of most of the players, when you are not with the brightest of lights, and maybe loose a clue, or missclick not intentionally (specially on the phone, my, the amount of times), they absolutely wear you down, call on you saying this or that.

I really like the game, its one of my favorites, but as soon as I see the chatbox being activated I loose all interest. Is there a way to disable the chat and just play for the fun? Or really should I find myself playing with my friends to avoid the sour taste?
Romain672

Re: Disable chat

Post by Romain672 »

In your preferences: https://boardgamearena.com/preferences?section=advanced
You can add:
"
#chatbar {
display:none;
}
"

I'm unsure what it does exactly, so maybe someone else could have better than that.
But note that many players can be friendly, can share information/important information in chat (like i will come back in 3min), or similar. And you will miss all those.
Stroom

Post by Stroom »

On the other hand it might sometimes be useful to listen to these comments and learn from your mistakes. Sure, sometimes it does get toxic if the partner is really tired of seeing the same kind of mistake 3-4-5 times in a row and lashes out. But if you just make the mistake without getting any instant feedback, you will probably not remember it and you keep making the same mistake without a second thought about what you did wrong.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

It's OK to discuss mistakes at the end. Talking about mistakes as they happen is often cheating, as it's giving more "clues" than just a color or number.
Stroom

Post by Stroom »

But... if you talk about it later then most players won't even remember the situation. Most times you can still talk about the situation as it happens, even spending a clue to clarify the situation after telling the other person what he did wrong... so you cancel out the "talking clue" with spending an actual clue. Something I have started to do lately.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

If you want to talk about the clues or mistakes during the game, use training mode. Most of the time you give away some extra information.

Moreover, discussing mistakes often leads to arguments, distractions and more mistakes, but that's a different matter.
Stroom

Post by Stroom »

Does it really matter whether it is a training mode or real mode? Even if you do give away some clues, you can similarly just distract the player if he doesn't get it and make even more mistakes. Either way, you want the players to learn and become better players in the long run so you don't have to talk at all about the game during or after it.
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

People who are getting mad when a mistake happens are annoying and they can become toxic.
I think they become even worst when they comment on chat and doesn't get any answer.

I don't play on phone myself, and I can understand that on a small screen the chat can become really distractful, and answering during the game is not easy.

You may tell your teamates at the beginning of the game that you are on phone and you need that nobody chats during the game become it's disturbing you.
FreeArt

Post by FreeArt »

I'd like the ability to mute players (and let them know). I realized Hanabi has some of the most toxic players of this plateform. Some take as many time messaging you as playing. It's exhausting and it ruins the fun.

Edit: the last toxic player I met tried to impress me with messages like "play in masters, then we talk", as if I cared about ranking :lol: .
jgpaladin

Post by jgpaladin »

This whole "it's cheating" idea is so ELO-focused. Maybe we can actually teach people something and not worry about THIS game if they're interested in learning...

The people who need the most help are rarely interested in discussing after the game, anyway. They already know everything.

Return to “Hanabi”