Hard to Get a Game Going

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Meeplelowda

Hard to Get a Game Going

Post by Meeplelowda »

I've been able to play this exactly once. I tried to start a real time game yesterday and waited an hour for a game to start before giving up. So I joined a turn-based game, which did fill and start, but now we're a day in and half the players have not even selected their first disc.

I'm guessing anyone reading this forum actually plays, I'm curious whether this is mostly played real time or turn-based.
SquashEngineer

Re: Hard to Get a Game Going

Post by SquashEngineer »

I play Skull turn based. It's ALWAYS a slow progress game. Games last a month or more. It's just the nature of the beast. There is minimal concurrent activity after the first disk, then each player must contribute sequentially, and I find the win scenario comes very slowly.

The only other game I've played that is slower, is Hearts. It's a nightmare - I've been playing one game for over two months. Ha.

Gotta love turn based. I just load up another set of three active Martian Dice games and wait for the cows and chickens to fall. :D
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

SquashEngineer wrote: 17 March 2022, 19:50 I play Skull turn based. It's ALWAYS a slow progress game. Games last a month or more. It's just the nature of the beast. There is minimal concurrent activity after the first disk, then each player must contribute sequentially, and I find the win scenario comes very slowly.

The only other game I've played that is slower, is Hearts. It's a nightmare - I've been playing one game for over two months. Ha.

Gotta love turn based. I just load up another set of three active Martian Dice games and wait for the cows and chickens to fall. :D
In that turned-based game I started two of the six players still have not moved 48 HOURS LATER and still have 24 hours of thinking time! I don't understand what "1 move per day" is supposed to mean if you can go 3 days without timing out. It's not like they made a move and had time added on. They haven't moved AT ALL.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

Meeplelowda wrote: 18 March 2022, 00:37
SquashEngineer wrote: 17 March 2022, 19:50 I play Skull turn based. It's ALWAYS a slow progress game. Games last a month or more. It's just the nature of the beast. There is minimal concurrent activity after the first disk, then each player must contribute sequentially, and I find the win scenario comes very slowly.

In that turned-based game I started two of the six players still have not moved 48 HOURS LATER and still have 24 hours of thinking time! I don't understand what "1 move per day" is supposed to mean if you can go 3 days without timing out. It's not like they made a move and had time added on. They haven't moved AT ALL.
I'm not an expert on the whole BGA time-out, but my understanding would be: The game is intended to be 1 day per move - no warnings if you consume the entire 24 hours before moving. That's when the warning goes up to the offending player. However as I understand it, I have an additional 2 days grace period to chew up after that. It tells me that in red at the top of my screen all the time that I have "2 days left to move." Then is there a couple of "vacation" days after that, that I can consume when I'm desperate? Possibly. This is what Turn-Based means. I find it casual, no stress, play when I can, don't worry about it. If things are going slow, I just start a few more games in the queue. I find that around 17 active games at once levels out to a reasonable pace. :oops:
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

SquashEngineer wrote: 18 March 2022, 13:16 I'm not an expert on the whole BGA time-out, but my understanding would be: The game is intended to be 1 day per move - no warnings if you consume the entire 24 hours before moving. That's when the warning goes up to the offending player. However as I understand it, I have an additional 2 days grace period to chew up after that. It tells me that in red at the top of my screen all the time that I have "2 days left to move." Then is there a couple of "vacation" days after that, that I can consume when I'm desperate? Possibly. This is what Turn-Based means. I find it casual, no stress, play when I can, don't worry about it. If things are going slow, I just start a few more games in the queue. I find that around 17 active games at once levels out to a reasonable pace. :oops:
Two players just hit the 3 day limit and I expelled them with no regrets. We didn't even play one round. That's just rude.

That said, I am looking closely at the time settings now and just joined a 3-move-per-day game that hopefully will be a more pleasant experience.
WilliamKiely

Post by WilliamKiely »

I'm available to play real-time 9pm-1am PDT any day of the week. Add me as a friend and we'll make it happen.

Oh wait. Wrong year! Oh well; if anyone is reading this, offer is still open.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

WilliamKiely wrote: 24 March 2023, 06:43 I'm available to play real-time 9pm-1am PDT any day of the week. Add me as a friend and we'll make it happen.

Oh wait. Wrong year! Oh well; if anyone is reading this, offer is still open.
I've only played it again once--live. We used a standard deck of cards and made a red card a skull and a black card a flower. Works just as well.
AKD35

Post by AKD35 »

Sad to say this has gotten no better. Just got an award for 5 consecutive wins. I've finished a single game on BGA.

It's a shame because I've had so much fun with this game in real life with friends. And yet on BGA people are just... unreliable? I've had the exact same experience with Love Letter. It's strange.
Earthboundia

Post by Earthboundia »

AKD35 wrote: 04 September 2023, 00:27 Sad to say this has gotten no better. Just got an award for 5 consecutive wins. I've finished a single game on BGA.

It's a shame because I've had so much fun with this game in real life with friends. And yet on BGA people are just... unreliable? I've had the exact same experience with Love Letter. It's strange.
A bit like Love Letter. I think Skull is one of those games where the game by itself isn't strong enough and requires the players to make the game in a sense. That being said Skull is a game with a very linear number of strategies and becomes a very dull game on a competitive level when everyone has clocked the main strategy. It's best as a casual game where nobody has played much of it and I think that is part of the reason why there are not many games of it running.

Return to “Skull”