Better post-game statistics

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
msclark

Better post-game statistics

Post by msclark »

Hi folks,

I've been working on a little tool to convert the game logs into better post-game statistics. For example, instead of it saying you got 11 wood from cards, it'll say you got 4 wood from Ranch Provost and 7 wood from Skillful Renovator. How many times did your Fishing Net trigger? How much food did you eat across all the harvests? That sort of thing.

It's all a bit rough and ready still, but it would be useful to have some alpha testers to try it on their games and see where it breaks. So if you're interested, drop me a DM and I'll send you the link. I should point out that it involves running a small script via a browser bookmark and you'd be a fool to just blindly execute code some guy on BGA told you to execute. So you might want to have some programming experience or know someone you trust who can check the code out and make sure I'm not doing anything nefarious.

Cheers,
Michael
msclark

Re: Better post-game statistics

Post by msclark »

I've made a few updates since the above post, so if anyone wants to check it out it's available here:

https://mind-maze.uk/agricola/

There's a set of demo data in there if you want to see what the output looks like without having to retrieve your own logs, but there are instructions for how to analyse your own games too.

It's really only tested on Arena games so far, and might not work great with other settings. In particular, the draft might not come out right if it's not Occupations and Minor Improvements together. And it's extremely likely that some cards that I haven't yet encountered don't behave correctly, so do report any anomalies to me. Other than that, I hope people find it useful and please feel free to add any suggestions for how it could be improved.

Cheers,
Michael
wooddistributor

Post by wooddistributor »

Just wanted to say I tried this out and wow there is way more detail in the stats than I expected! Nice job with this, and I like the simple design of the output.

I'll add that for my Firefox configuration, I couldn't get the the script as a bookmark, so I ran in console. Doing that meant the output wouldn't copy to clipboard (Clipboard write was blocked due to lack of user activation.), so I just copied the console output. But that is way less work than doing these stats by hand!
torvaldur_makan

Post by torvaldur_makan »

This is awesome! I love the draft view!

One stat that I've been wanting in the official post-game is "number of rounds being starting player" (note that this is different from number of times placed on Meeting Place) or even "average position per round". Is that something that you would be able to derive out of the logs?
msclark

Post by msclark »

wooddistributor wrote: 27 March 2023, 15:19 Just wanted to say I tried this out and wow there is way more detail in the stats than I expected! Nice job with this, and I like the simple design of the output.

I'll add that for my Firefox configuration, I couldn't get the the script as a bookmark, so I ran in console. Doing that meant the output wouldn't copy to clipboard (Clipboard write was blocked due to lack of user activation.), so I just copied the console output. But that is way less work than doing these stats by hand!
Glad you like it! It works ok on my Firefox, but I must admit I can't remember if I had to tweak some permission when I created the bookmark initially. It sounds like you've found a workaround anyway.
torvaldur_makan wrote: 22 April 2023, 23:18 This is awesome! I love the draft view!

One stat that I've been wanting in the official post-game is "number of rounds being starting player" (note that this is different from number of times placed on Meeting Place) or even "average position per round". Is that something that you would be able to derive out of the logs?
Good idea. I've just added a "Turns in 1st" stat which seems to add up to 14 on all the games I've tried it on, so hopefully that's working. :) It did uncover a bug, though, so you'll need to update the bookmark if you have it saved.

Average position is a bit more awkward, though, because of all the cards that let you take multiple moves in a row. I don't think there's any issue for calculating 1st position, though. Or does anyone know of a card that lets you place a farmer before the first player?
torvaldur_makan

Post by torvaldur_makan »

msclark wrote: 25 April 2023, 17:44
wooddistributor wrote: 27 March 2023, 15:19 Just wanted to say I tried this out and wow there is way more detail in the stats than I expected! Nice job with this, and I like the simple design of the output.

Glad you like it! It works ok on my Firefox, but I must admit I can't remember if I had to tweak some permission when I created the bookmark initially. It sounds like you've found a workaround anyway.
torvaldur_makan wrote: 22 April 2023, 23:18 This is awesome! I love the draft view!

Good idea. I've just added a "Turns in 1st" stat which seems to add up to 14 on all the games I've tried it on, so hopefully that's working. :) It did uncover a bug, though, so you'll need to update the bookmark if you have it saved.

Average position is a bit more awkward, though, because of all the cards that let you take multiple moves in a row. I don't think there's any issue for calculating 1st position, though. Or does anyone know of a card that lets you place a farmer before the first player?
Awesome! Can you derive second, third, fourth position from first and ignore any cards that lets you make several moves in a row? Those are very few and in this set not that impactful.

What I'm trying to get at is seeing how big an advantage it is sitting after a compulsive Meeting Place player. Some games I'm pretty sure that completely decides the game.

Return to “Agricola”