Some needed additions/changes

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
TheReeve

Re: Some needed additions/changes

Post by TheReeve »

mturton wrote: 27 March 2023, 14:06
mturton wrote: 23 March 2023, 02:59 We need the monuments updated ASAP.
Yup.

In family matches we have instituted a house rule that no monuments may be purchased. All of us are sick of losing to whoever has the Sculpture Garden.
House rules are great. I house rule almost every game I play. We own the games we own, and each player should experiment in the sandbox. The heavily weighted monuments are in the base game because the game is, paradoxically, a heavier gateway game. The power of the monuments (and the variability of other elements) gives newer players a puncher's chance to beat anyone, even me. That is by design. But the game can easily be customized to suit your preferences. I was never going to out-Lacerda Lacerda. Obsession exists because it is a heavier gateway game with a theme that draws non-gamers to the hobby. If non-gamers don't have a chance to win, they stay non-gamers.
emmapants

Post by emmapants »

TheReeve wrote: 27 March 2023, 17:30
mturton wrote: 23 March 2023, 02:59 We need the monuments updated ASAP.
Yup.

In family matches we have instituted a house rule that no monuments may be purchased. All of us are sick of losing to whoever has the Sculpture Garden.
House rules are great. I house rule almost every game I play. We own the games we own, and each player should experiment in the sandbox. The heavily weighted monuments are in the base game because the game is, paradoxically, a heavier gateway game. The power of the monuments (and the variability of other elements) gives newer players a puncher's chance to beat anyone, even me. That is by design. But the game can easily be customized to suit your preferences. I was never going to out-Lacerda Lacerda. Obsession exists because it is a heavier gateway game with a theme that draws non-gamers to the hobby. If non-gamers don't have a chance to win, they stay non-gamers.
But you can't house rules when you're playing online. What about a game option to play without monuments then? I just massively lost a game because the other player was able to buy three monuments when they happened to come up. :(
TheReeve

Post by TheReeve »

emmapants wrote: 24 April 2023, 01:29
TheReeve wrote: 27 March 2023, 17:30

Yup.

But you can't house rules when you're playing online. What about a game option to play without monuments then? I just massively lost a game because the other player was able to buy three monuments when they happened to come up. :(
There is a lot more involved to 3 monuments just happening to come up. That is likely over £2000 pounds in purchases, suggesting that player had a serious money engine. But I won't disagree that the monuments are powerful; that was by design.

However, enough players agree with you that I created low VP monuments in the Upstairs, Downstairs expansion. While I do not have any specific dates yet, I am in the process of planning the addition of Upstairs, Downstairs to BGA, and that will be an option.

Dan
mturton

Post by mturton »

TheReeve wrote: 26 April 2023, 11:57 There is a lot more involved to 3 monuments just happening to come up. That is likely over £2000 pounds in purchases, suggesting that player had a serious money engine. But I won't disagree that the monuments are powerful; that was by design.

However, enough players agree with you that I created low VP monuments in the Upstairs, Downstairs expansion. While I do not have any specific dates yet, I am in the process of planning the addition of Upstairs, Downstairs to BGA, and that will be an option.

Dan
So, we can't expect a programmer to go in and change 5 numbers in the database to lower the monuments to a more reasonable level until 2024? I am tired of losing games because the Sculpture Garden is an I-win button, and I hate having to buy it and demoralize the other player.

Can we at least implement a no-monuments variant, then?
TheReeve

Post by TheReeve »

mturton wrote: 28 May 2023, 12:24
TheReeve wrote: 26 April 2023, 11:57 There is a lot more involved to 3 monuments just happening to come up. That is likely over £2000 pounds in purchases, suggesting that player had a serious money engine. But I won't disagree that the monuments are powerful; that was by design.

Dan
So, we can't expect a programmer to go in and change 5 numbers in the database to lower the monuments to a more reasonable level until 2024? I am tired of losing games because the Sculpture Garden is an I-win button, and I hate having to buy it and demoralize the other player.

Can we at least implement a no-monuments variant, then?
My programmer/developer is finishing another project. I have no quick fix option as you describe. My apologies, but there is more to these adaptations than meets the eye.
kb_driven

Post by kb_driven »

Hi Dan and everyone!

I love the implementation of Obsession here, and thrilled to hear that Upstairs Downstairs is in the works to be added. I definitely agree with the UNDO suggestions earlier and hope that something can be worked into that addition, in particular the ability to Undo special actions.

That said, I think one other change/upgrade that would be valuable would be an indicator, preferably around the main board area, which tells the players which variants are in play. I love that variant options exist, and hopefully there will be more to come. But I find myself struggling to remember which market variant is going to be kicking in on any particular game. It makes it a lot harder to plan ahead for future turns if I can't remember when and how many tiles will be removed between turns and rounds. It's much more of a problem for turn-based games and those of us who play a lot of games simultaneously, but I think would be fairly easy to implement for all.

Thanks for considering :)
TheReeve

Post by TheReeve »

kb_driven wrote: 01 November 2023, 14:54 Hi Dan and everyone!

I love the implementation of Obsession here, and thrilled to hear that Upstairs Downstairs is in the works to be added. I definitely agree with the UNDO suggestions earlier and hope that something can be worked into that addition, in particular the ability to Undo special actions.

That said, I think one other change/upgrade that would be valuable would be an indicator, preferably around the main board area, which tells the players which variants are in play. I love that variant options exist, and hopefully there will be more to come. But I find myself struggling to remember which market variant is going to be kicking in on any particular game. It makes it a lot harder to plan ahead for future turns if I can't remember when and how many tiles will be removed between turns and rounds. It's much more of a problem for turn-based games and those of us who play a lot of games simultaneously, but I think would be fairly easy to implement for all.

Thanks for considering :)
Hey, you have the picture of the new scoundrel!

So, you can click on the three lines in the upper right...

____
____
____

...and see all the variants. Is that not good?

Dan
kb_driven

Post by kb_driven »

Thanks Dan, I didn’t know that was there. Definitely helps! As always your response time is impressive.
a1game

Post by a1game »

First of all, Thank You developers for bringing Obsession to BGA!! I love the game ♡ and the implementation is great :)

I do have a question regarding special action, isn't it supposed to be playable even after tapping action of buying an improvement ? I once wanted to refresh market after buying, but there wasn't an option for that as the game automatically ended my turn :(
Darth Servo

Post by Darth Servo »

Why does the game not let you use Servant Hiring when the UD expansion is in play?
If you try, you get a message that it's better to pass to hire servants. There are other reasons to use the action, such as flipping the Butler's Pantry tile to get an extra point, especially when Service is the Courtship preference for that round.
Why is the game not letting me do a perfectly legitimate action?

Return to “Obsession”