Has anyone won without taking the 2 40-pt cards?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Stuff by Bez

Has anyone won without taking the 2 40-pt cards?

Post by Stuff by Bez »

I understand that in the lower right region there are fewer things per space, so there's more chance of getting a 'wasted turn'.

But if you're trying to win, surely you NEED to go for that possibility.

I'm wondering if it's possible to know how many Arena games have been won by someone who didn't take 40-40.
greatestone

Re: Has anyone won without taking the 2 40-pt cards?

Post by greatestone »

Hey Bez,
Thanks for your interest & playing Go Goa. I really appreciate the work you do.
I am a co-designer of the game. I will check some of the stats and get back to you regarding this.
When I played the game (offline & online) I do remember winning without taking 2 40-pt cards. But with the power of BGA, I should now be able to find some games where its possible to win without taking both 40 point cards.

I do agree that taking both cards increases your choices of getting higher scores, but it also opens up the possibility of missing a destination on a turn. It was meant to reflect the real-life situation in Goa, where south Goa is less frequented by tourists and north Goa having more of the destinations.
Stuff by Bez

Post by Stuff by Bez »

So basically, this game is telling us to explore south Goa more!

I've yet to visit anywhere in India, but I'll bear that in mind! :-p
greatestone

Post by greatestone »

Stuff by Bez wrote: 28 March 2023, 21:54 So basically, this game is telling us to explore south Goa more!

I've yet to visit anywhere in India, but I'll bear that in mind! :-p
Yes indeed.
We also wanted to show that Goa is more than beaches. Hence the tie-breaker is the person that visited the least beaches.

Here are two games where the player won by not taking the 2-40 pt cards:
https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=361319308
https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=361321804
emilouanna

Post by emilouanna »

Hi! I saw this post last night and was intrigued... I thought that I had already won against my sister using low-point tour plans, but when I went back to the game results it turns out she had also taken the low-point tour plans (I had 20 & 30, and she had 30 & 30).

SO! Today I tried it in a game against leo_myself (another GoGoa 'guru' who was slightly higher ranked than I)-- I told him I'd seen in a forum someone ask if anyone had won this way, so I was going to try to test it. He laughed and wished me good luck.

Retrospectively, I think one important thing to consider is the placement of the destinations. Often you can pull two 40 point tour plans that have overlapping destinations (for example: I've played one with two overlaps, where I only needed four unique destinations). In this case, the two 40-point tour plans leo_myself had did not have any overlaps, and were actually fairly spaced out. My two 30-point tour plans, on the other hand, had one overlap, giving me a distinct advantage on that front.

Having overlapping destinations therefore gives you more turns to explore your destination 'type' combinations. It seems the hardest to try to get all 6 of a kind, so I was focusing on getting sets of 5. I completed two sets of five types of destinations, and since our last two rolls were really awful I did not make it to the Dudhsagar Falls +20 scenic location, but was still able to get +20 points by visiting a third holy site.

In the end, he was not able to finish one of his tour plans, so I won 240-200. :P

Return to “Go Goa”