Let suggestions in the bug system alive for some time

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
aghagh

Let suggestions in the bug system alive for some time

Post by aghagh »

I try to make suggestions for the games I play to help improving BGA and making the gaming experience more pleasant for everyone. Usually, these suggestions stay alive for some time, open for discussion and upvoting. They either end up being totally or partially implemented (great), ignored (not so great, but at least they can still get upvoted) or rejected after some time and debate/deliberation (which stands to reason, as some suggestions are not good enough or are not worth the effort).

However, my experience for some games has been the following: I write a suggestion and shortly after (it can be even less than 30 minutes) the developer changes the suggestion to "Rejected" for whatever reason, without giving the community a chance to upvote the suggestion or comment on it. This makes some games full of rejected suggestions with just 1 vote (the creator's), which doesn't encourage other players to take a look at the suggestions or even write any other suggestions they might have (with a feeling of "why bother?").

My suggestion to BGA: have a policy (a "best practice") for leaving suggestions opened for a minimum of time, asking developers to please not to close/reject them immediately after being written so the community can upvote and discuss (unless it's an obvious case, but these should be a minority of cases, not the majority).

Thank you.
Blacktango

Re: Let suggestions in the bug system alive for some time

Post by Blacktango »

IMO, if the developer close the suggestion/bug it is ok.
They may close it because it’s not a bug, because it’s a duplicated suggestion, because it doesn’t match the material game rules, or because it can’t be implemented, or even just because they don’t want to spend more time coding this specific game.

But they should definitely explain why they close it.
Kayvon

Re: Let suggestions in the bug system alive for some time

Post by Kayvon »

The developer should provide an explanation when he closes your suggestion. The system requires the to say *something*, so what's the response?

For suggestions, there's no developer option to mark them as duplicates. When I see a duplicate, I reject it immediately and point the submitter to the original suggestion. Absolutely no reason to leave it open and splitethe votes, right?

The other reason a developer might reject it immediately is because the work involved exceeds the benefit. If the developer doesn't intend to implement it at all, it doesn't matter how many votes there are. Most people appreciate the response rather than false hope. Again, the developer should provide an explanation.

I realize that last reason can be frustrating. After all, if *you* really like the suggestion, probably other people do, too. Why won't the developer just implement it for you? Well, developing takes time and effort and game developers are largely volunteer. But that's good news for you! Contact the developer directly and offer to implement the idea yourself. Most developers are happy for the help because there are a lot more people willing to demand changes than willing to help make them. Be the change you want to see in the world.

Return to “Suggestions”