Tournament module 2020 UPDATES: Swiss system v2

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
wehmsi

Re: Tournament module 2020 UPDATES: Swiss system v2

Post by wehmsi »

Y'a encore des développeurs de BGA qui lisent ce forum de temps en temps?
On n'obtient jamais de réponses à nos demandes depuis plus de 6 mois...

BGA developpers, are you still reading this forum thread?
6 months and not giving us responses...

We have been asking for Tournaments managers/creators to be able to modify parameters once players have been registered.
Only that.
Only that.
Nothing else. Nothing more.
Please.
PLEASE.

We love BGA.
We want to bring people together. Play fun games.
And not lose our time and energy with simple problems that block us from offering a good service to the community.

HELP
HELP
HELP
HELP
HELP

HELP

HELP

HELP
RobRoyDuncan

Post by RobRoyDuncan »

Thanks for your work in getting these tournaments set up! For Swiss tournaments, could an option be added to split the maximum number of players out from the preferred number of players? Right now, we can't set a tournament up for 2-3 player tables, preferring 2p. For some games, I'd rather run one 3p table each round than have a bye. Thanks!
captainstone79

Post by captainstone79 »

I have a question or maybe a point to rethink.

We have been aprticipating in a King Domino one by one tournament. The tournament administrator has choosen Swiss V2 for this tournament. As I udnerstand this is normally made for more then 2 players.

We have now the following table:

The column with enemy points seems to make strange calculations. I was assuming that it counts the points of all players achieved in total in the tournament. But then it is not understandable how someon could achieve 13 points.
In my case I can only calculate the 9 points of enemies when I just review the status of this players in the round when I played with them.
But then the 13 enemy points from the 4th position would be not possible.

As I could not find here a detailed description or I missed it on all theses pages here. I like to ask wether it might be a bug if swiss version 2 is selected for tournaments with 2 player games.
RobRoyDuncan

Post by RobRoyDuncan »

captainstone79 wrote: 25 May 2021, 21:15 We have now the following table:

The column with enemy points seems to make strange calculations. I was assuming that it counts the points of all players achieved in total in the tournament. But then it is not understandable how someon could achieve 13 points.
In my case I can only calculate the 9 points of enemies when I just review the status of this players in the round when I played with them.
But then the 13 enemy points from the 4th position would be not possible.
Hi captainstone79! Your link does not work for me, but I believe you're trying to show something from the Kingdomino 5x5x5 tournament you were in recently (https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=82849). The "Opponent's points" tiebreaker is the sum of all of your opponent's points, across all rounds, so it includes wins they achieved after you played them. In your case, I see that your five opponents, with their final points, are:

Romantique 1
RRochaSP 2
leproduktr 3
Lily23 4
borg79 3

This gives your opponents 1+2+3+4+3 = 13 points, which is what your tiebreaker shows as. I believe this is working as intended.

Thanks for posting - please let me know if I wasn't clear about anything!
ianmanka

Post by ianmanka »

Question about the "Opponents' average" column. As visible here: https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=78539

Most of the ELO rankings I faced were in the 200-300s, yet the "average" is in the 3000s. Is it the same as the "opponent points," where it takes the sum of all of the opponents in the tournament? If so, I would expect this number to be in the 500-900 range, not 3000+.

Also, only by reading this thread did I understand that "Opponent's points" meant match/tournament points and not score/victory points. Perhaps some clarification (as a hover tooltip?) in the standings would be helpful here.
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

In Jan. and Feb. I registered over 20 times for swissV2 to play 6 nimmt. Most of them were disasters, and most of them were abandoned. Real time tournaments are usually going to be short events. So if it's set up for 4 rounds and 1/2 of the games don't happen due to missing players, that's not good.
Some players have byes, while other tables are short due to an absent player. Some would get 5 points for not playing and others would get 8 for not playing. Some players played 2 games while others played 4.
jefcasa wrote: 24 April 2021, 11:45 In this game as tables are only 4 players, if one does not come, 3 people can't play during 45mns. If it happens some of them can leave and next turn, even more table don't play as system continue to bring them to a table on second round.
Yes, the single biggest problem for tournaments is players coordinating time schedules.
jefcasa wrote: 24 April 2021, 11:45 Hints :
A test of connected people 5 mns before tournament start followed by cancelling inscription of non-connected people could be implemented.
Admin should be able to change some parameters of the tournament as number of players min & maxi.
We tried this too. We even waited until the last 30 minutes to open the event to make sure all the invited people were ready. However, if you have a large group it's quite possible that one player could be 5 seconds late, and then every player must join and abandon every table of the tournament in order to get out of it, to setup a new tournament. This takes a while. Restarting is extremely tricky, as one player again will likely be a few seconds late registering. If the tournament didn't automatically start with a timer that would solve everything.
jefcasa wrote: 24 April 2021, 11:45After 3 very bad experiences (people waiting on each round), many tables not playing as players did not come on time first round or leaved because they had to wait on following rounds, we made a group of friends and discussed how we could enjoy playing a tournament with the BGA features.
We made a list of invited people : we ask them to say if they will play during the week before the tournament. We create the tournament 24hours before it starts with the number of players mini = number of players maxi according to the numbers of pre)inscription done. People pre-inscripted are asked to join the tournament.
If it does not work that way we will stop creating tournaments.
This is an ongoing problem. We had so many people excited to help test tournaments, but now we have virtually 0 tournaments.
wehmsi wrote: 08 May 2021, 16:14
BGA developpers, are you still reading this forum thread?
6 months and not giving us responses...

We have been asking for Tournaments managers/creators to be able to modify parameters once players have been registered.
Only that.
Only that.
Nothing else. Nothing more.
Please.
PLEASE.
I have given a suggestion several times, and it has been ignored each time. "Allow real time tournaments to be started with a button, just like real time games."
Imagine you have about 30 players. You would like to start with either 30 or 35 players. This is virtually impossible. You may get 29, you may get 32. There is no way to cut it off when you get to 30. There is no way to wait for 1 more player if you have 34.

I am so glad that normal games on this site don't start with a timer. Imagine if every table you setup for every game initiated a 5 minute timer and the game was forced to start with whatever number of players you have at that point...even if a player quit with 1 second left.
ibize

Post by ibize »

This tournament is giving always the same encounters, and it looks like the Opponents points and averages looks wrong.
https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=87426

Since we started with the same elo, and I selected the option to try to avoid two players for the same match, I was expecting we would get a match for every different combination of 3+2 players, which is exactly 10. Any ideas?

It would be cool to allow a round robin tournament mode that creates matches for more than 2 players. So we could get something like what I mentioned, being able to play a 2 player match with every other player and a 3 player match for every other combination of 2 players.
compte obelète

Post by compte obelète »

We should implement a consentement for kick people from a tournament, there's some people that ban as quick as possible. But, we I did my kick, it was almost over for the maximumtime to the table. But this last game, we was at 3/4 of it and I was barely in negative. Got kicked, it's feel unfair for now, only one guy is needed to kick people. As it ruin karma, elo and tournament points here, we should make sure to actually make a game whiteout a single player being greedy for games, like, don't especially care for the other living. No, here as soon at is negative. We ban! Like, no, wait a bit as it was at 3/4 game done whit still 3 days to go.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

ianmanka wrote: 04 June 2021, 23:58 Question about the "Opponents' average" column. As visible here: https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=78539

Most of the ELO rankings I faced were in the 200-300s, yet the "average" is in the 3000s. Is it the same as the "opponent points," where it takes the sum of all of the opponents in the tournament? If so, I would expect this number to be in the 500-900 range, not 3000+.

Also, only by reading this thread did I understand that "Opponent's points" meant match/tournament points and not score/victory points. Perhaps some clarification (as a hover tooltip?) in the standings would be helpful here.
This post I'm quoting is from 2021, but it still raises a good point. I can't figure out the "Opponents' average" column. For instance: I'm in a tournament, format swiss system, where only 1 game has been played. Screencap: https://snipboard.io/eZuE4q.jpg Of the three of us who played that first game, our Elos are 304, 205, and 356. So for each of these players, their "opponents' average" is 280.5, 330, and 254.5 respectively. But the tournament page (as shown in the screencap I linked to) says 1861, 1960, and 1809. That's an order of magnitude too high. The number given as "opponents' average" is not the mean average, it's not the sum; I don't know what it is. This isn't a glitch in just one tournament either, I've noticed this before. What is the explanation?
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

It's the old way of elo.
Before you was starting at 1500, and you could gain or lose elo.

All elos were decreased by 1300.

Now, you start at 0 and can't lose elo below 100.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”