Villagers

Deutsche Übersetzung
Eldenx

Villagers

Post by Eldenx »

Villagers currently becomes unplayable in german, as
  • there is a mismatch between the scanned card names and the textual translation
  • most textual translations don't fit on the cards
I'd rather have an option to play it in the english version, than the confusing (and ugly) german version.
cigma

Re: Villagers

Post by cigma »

First the cards were shown english only, with translation in the tooltips. I used the card names of the German version for this translation. After that the developer has decided to also translate the pictures of the cards, according to this suggestion report: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=83516

I wasn't very happy about this change (German texts tend to use more letters than english texts, which causes problems), but I haven't checked how it looks now. It's also an issue in other languages, as you can see in this bug report: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=85222.

I agree that the "scanned" card names (pictures) and the textual translations (tooltips) should match. Can you give us some examples of the mismatch?
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

I find this string very interesting: "The font size for card names displayed on the cards for my language is 15".
Have you tried setting it smaller than 15, and is there a difference?
cigma

Post by cigma »

fruktansvärt wrote: 03 April 2023, 00:04 I find this string very interesting: "The font size for card names displayed on the cards for my language is 15".
Where do you find this?

On some cards 2 1/2 letters are outside the cards (e. g. STROHDACHDECKER),
STROHDACHDECKER.PNG
STROHDACHDECKER.PNG (18.84 KiB) Viewed 939 times
so I guess a smaller font won't fix this problem.

I also found this white stripe:
Villagers_Streifen.PNG
Villagers_Streifen.PNG (24.22 KiB) Viewed 939 times

And cards in the village place aren't translated:
Villager_Dorfplatz_Kerzenmacher.PNG
Villager_Dorfplatz_Kerzenmacher.PNG (18.49 KiB) Viewed 939 times
This should read "KERZENMACHER" instead of "CHANDLER".

A lot of things to fix!
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

cigma wrote: 03 April 2023, 07:41 Where do you find this?
it was probably the latest string added to the translation center.
cigma wrote: 03 April 2023, 07:41 STROHDACHDECKER
if the font is smaller, it should fit better?
i've taken to add a hyphen to long words. problem is, as your second bug report link shows, it covers other info on the cards.
(you can use soft hyphens, even if it's a bit iffy: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103080 )
cigma wrote: 03 April 2023, 07:41 And cards in the village place aren't translated:
yes, i added to the bug report about that: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=84937
i think the developers see when you add to a report that is already closed?
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

any way to move this out of the German subforum?
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

Eldenx wrote: 02 April 2023, 18:24 I'd rather have an option to play it in the english version, than the confusing (and ugly) german version.
you can add "&lang=en" (without the quotes) to the end of the URL for a table, to see it in English instead.
Eldenx

Post by Eldenx »

fruktansvärt wrote: 03 April 2023, 12:56
Eldenx wrote: 02 April 2023, 18:24 I'd rather have an option to play it in the english version, than the confusing (and ugly) german version.
you can add "&lang=en" (without the quotes) to the end of the URL for a table, to see it in English instead.
Many thanks. I'll do this from now on!

Return to “Deutsch - de”