Display x / y of round z all the time!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
OlafThaSnowman

Display x / y of round z all the time!

Post by OlafThaSnowman »

When my opponent thinks, I want to be able to plan my next move ! ! ! !
I have missed probably hundreds of end-of-round goals because I just can't follow the weird system of changing number of moves per round. Please use some millimeters of screen space to display were we are in the game. It displays the percentage of progress, which is completely useless.
Mathew5000

Re: Display x / y of round z all the time!

Post by Mathew5000 »

You can look at the goal card to see which round it is, then look at the number of your cubes remaining. But I agree it would be nice to have "Turn x/y of round z" at the top of the screen.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

+1. Agreed. Would be nice. Probably needs an improvement suggestion bug entry though.
kloaf11

Post by kloaf11 »

Wouldn't hinder the game to add it. But as above said you just have to look at the cubes on the matt to see how much turns you have left in that round. And also the taking away isn't too hard. You take a cube and use it to track your score for that round goal. So its only one turn less per round.
Rooster6975

Post by Rooster6975 »

My 2 cents worth. I played this game a number of times on BGA and enjoyed it, but often found myself unsure if I had sufficient turns / rounds to complete what I wanted to do. Then I played it live at a board game cafe and everything fell into place. In round 1, everyone receives 8 cubes, one for each turn. When the round ends, you place one of your cubes on the round bonus chart depending on how you scored. Now you have 7 cubes left. You start round 2 with 7 turns, and end it by placing one cube on the round bonus chart. You now have 6 cubes, etc.

I knew it worked this way from playing on BGA, but seeing it live made a big difference for me. All you have to do is look at your cube count to know where you are in the round (3 cubes left, you have 3 turns left), and look at the round bonus chart to see how many rounds are left. In my personal opinion, an x/y of round z isn't necessary given the above.
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

Until I read this discussion, it hadn't occurred to me that people might not know to look at the round goals and cube counts to determine game progress - I think Rooster6975 is right that having played it with a physical game set made this much more obvious, because we were actually moving the cubes with our hands, and placing them on the round goals at the end of each round. Based on the comments here, it seems that people who have played only online may forget about how the cubes work until it's pointed out to them, and not realize that they should look at cubes to figure out what the current point in the game is.

That said, I also think that even knowing this, it takes a tad more mental effort than it should sometimes for me to figure this out when looking at a board on BGA. I think this could be improved in a way that would help some new players a lot, and would also make things just slightly better for those of us who already know to look at the cubes.

I wrote this suggestion with the UI improvements I thought of for this: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=87044
Please vote for it if you think this might help some people, and not hurt even if you don't personally need this.

Return to “Wingspan”