OP card removal option?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
dajacra

OP card removal option?

Post by dajacra »

Aye! I finally got to play with the 7 card which takes rockets away from your opponents. I felt so icky afterwards and whenever it gets played against me, it is a huge feelbad for the table (most times). Would there be an audience for petitioning the progammers to make an option that when creating a table where you can take it out of the deck?

Dajacra
Remkar

Re: OP card removal option?

Post by Remkar »

Nope, the game developers on here are only allowed to add variants that are officially approved by the game publisher.
Shazzypaz

Post by Shazzypaz »

This is discussed here:

https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=60558

I think it's a strategy issue - there are ways to counter that card. I haven't decided yet whether to approach the game designer and publisher to allow a variant that removes the card.
pjt33

Post by pjt33 »

The strength of all of the cards is conditional on the RNG not kicking you in the teeth, but IMO the strongest card in the game is the one for slot 9 which lets you swap it around. If you get that early and the dice cooperate then you can usually easily get a high rocket card into the red in slot 5 or 6. But I wouldn't advocate for removing it from the game. There's enough luck in the game anyway that the luck involved in getting the best cards doesn't make it a worse game.
Megatron96

Post by Megatron96 »

There are several cards that are more OP than that card, so I wouldn't advocate removing it.
Aerospider

Post by Aerospider »

It's not that big of a deal really. Think of it as a 13-cost card that scores four/three points in a two-dice slot and makes the game run a bit longer. And even then it still has the added disadvantages of not gaining you any advantage on players with a 0 score and can only be activated once a round. The bonus buy(s) shows that it's an under-powered idea that needed help to be on a par with other tier-3 cards.
CakeorDave

Post by CakeorDave »

dajacra wrote: 11 February 2023, 01:49 Aye! I finally got to play with the 7 card which takes rockets away from your opponents. I felt so icky afterwards and whenever it gets played against me, it is a huge feelbad for the table (most times). Would there be an audience for petitioning the progammers to make an option that when creating a table where you can take it out of the deck?

Dajacra
It’s not that strong, in 2 player games it’s the equivalent of +3 points and a buy - for a row 3 card that’s good.

In 3,4 player games, it isn’t as straightforward as a +3 point lead to the buyer, since there’s multiple opponents that are hit, but … just compete for the 7 cards. When everyone has a decent 7 in the top row, it’s basically a 14 cost card that gets the owner an extra buy.
Ditto11

Post by Ditto11 »

pjt33 wrote: 12 February 2023, 15:50 The strength of all of the cards is conditional on the RNG not kicking you in the teeth,
Oh boy I can attest to that .. had a game the other day .. got this card (sector 7: opponent's lose pts ).
I got it flipped into the red side (so -3 pts each time). I was playing in a 4 player game, so 3 opponents ..
Got the card in like 2nd turn of the game ...

Throughout the game, total 7's rolled by all 3 opponent's combined: 1
Yep .. 1 .. couldn't believe how unlucky that was ... 1 in 6 chance of getting a 6.
essentially a 50:50 chance each round that at least 1 opponent rolls a 7.
Went well over 12 turns ... exactly one 7. LOL

Of course, the next game I played, opponent got it ... he was using it every turn! O.o
very RNG dependant ..

Still would love an option to remove ..
mturton

Post by mturton »

Shazzypaz wrote: 11 February 2023, 16:51 This is discussed here:

I think it's a strategy issue - there are ways to counter that card. I haven't decided yet whether to approach the game designer and publisher to allow a variant that removes the card.
Please, please, please approach the publisher about that card. The issue isn't that it is OP, it is that the card is widely hated. Not only does it lead to rancor (had a player today use it, and the third player in the game checked out of it when he was hit with it, quit, just rolled dice and never bought another card), but it lengthens the game as well. There are zero positives for it. I never buy it because it sucks in every way. Many players buy it only because they are afraid someone else will get it.

Another card that needs optional removal is the You Win! card. However difficult it may be to set up, it should simply not exist. If it is so hard that it is not useful, then it is a dead end that players should not be tempted toward, and if it is effective, then it needs removed. It's just bad game design, period.

Also, the cards that permit players to set die rolls need to be optionally removed. In a dice game, dice cheats like that simply negate the effort of building up an engine to win. Another case of bad design.

And if you tell me the designer of the game approves of those cards, I will refer you to the widely negative reviews of the expansions. The game system is really great -- everything that takes away from it is negative and should not be in the game. Those are designer screw ups, that simple.
Last edited by mturton on 26 June 2023, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.
mturton

Post by mturton »

Shazzypaz wrote: 11 February 2023, 16:51 This is discussed here:

What strategy can stop that card? Please elucidate.

Return to “Space Base”