Restarts in Arena?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
debjwillis

Restarts in Arena?

Post by debjwillis »

Hi all,

I just began a game in the Arena, and the player immediately asked me if I would agree to the 'restart code of honor for a first round Mistress.' Ordinarily when I play, I do not ask to restart if a Mistress is pulled against me in the first round. My feeling is that sometimes it happens, I view it as a bit of a challenge for the rest of the game, and I don't ask for restarts. But also in normal play, if the person I'm playing asks me for a restart because I've drawn the Mistress, I always grant it. It's just a game after all, and I want everyone to enjoy playing it.

However, in the Arena format, it seems wrong to me to restart a game in this situation. I'm not really sure why it changes for me there - it's still just a game, no one is going to win anything other than bragging rights. (And by the look of things, that certainly won't be me.) But somehow making it a more competitive format implies to me that the game shouldn't be tinkered with.

Just wondering how you all feel about restarting in the Arena.

Thanks for your input!
Ranior

Re: Restarts in Arena?

Post by Ranior »

You're under no obligation to restart and I most likely wouldn't.
Redwoods

Post by Redwoods »

I agree with Rainor.

I've seen multiple top 25 or so players do this AFTER the mistress comes out against them, then throw a fit if you won't abandon the game. It's embarrassing.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

At the very least you have to agree to this before the game starts (as with all house rules), otherwise it's a big fat no.
Redwoods

Post by Redwoods »

Exactly.
Alexandr Darius

Post by Alexandr Darius »

No restarting unless the player explicitly states his intention to use special rules at the start of the game. And never in Arena.
Well, I've offered several times to some inexperienced players to abandon the game in case they had like really bad luck.
Eat corn boy

Post by Eat corn boy »

A fair game is more fun A game that is doomed from the start is no fun ;)
rcrdryan

Post by rcrdryan »

there's still a little chance we can win against mistress on turn 1, and luck factor still involved in the game
We are Mongna, a commodity trading company based in Indonesia, we have acquired in-depth knowledge and expertise of regional products over a period of time which has helped develop local and international customer base for the company
T0p0Gigi0

Post by T0p0Gigi0 »

Never restart. It's a luck game in many respects. Not only for mistress. Start with low green , then a potemkin and a bank and you are in the lead with little chance for opponent. Should we restart that too?

Return to “Saint Petersburg”