More parameters for rules

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Carrick22FR

More parameters for rules

Post by Carrick22FR »

Hello,

I'd like to discuss some rules used in the BGA version, since some rules I've known since discovering the game are different, and ask if it's possible to add some parameters for the rules depending on player's preferences.

First one is the order of pairs, which I always seen as 66 being the strongest. Here the rule is 11 is the strongest. I'd like to have the choice to invert the values as 11 -> 66 seems more intuitive, but may also be less popular (not asking for a replacement, just choosing between the two orders).

Second and third one are the Mia rules, and here two points to adress :
- Declaring Mia forces the next player to choose between taking a hit and exposing the announcer. For 3+ players, I've always seen the possibility of giving to the next player as if you're declaring Mia yourself (like any other value), until reaching the last person before the announcer. Yes, you can't go higher, but forcing the next player to deal with the Mia is a bit unfair to people seated next to very aggressive players, and passing can make the mind game about everyone trusting or not your declaration (which is more fun for me).
- The fact that exposing someone for declaring Mia, and them being right makes you loose 2 lives is a bit aggresive for me, and I'e only seen players loose one life at a time regardless of the value announced. This rule makes the game more dynamic and risky, but i'd like a way of turning it off as it can make the game more about 21s than anything else.

Here I only discuss about the rules I've played with which were pretty popular amongst my friends, and if you encountered different rules i'd be happy to see what other people played with. The rules as they are do throw me off but I guess these types of games can have many variations, hence customizable rules are well-suited for this game (and having "standard" rules for arena if needed).

Thank you for taking the time to read this ! Also, as i'm writing this the game is still in Beta, and I can understand if rules changes are to be expected.
ufm

Re: More parameters for rules

Post by ufm »

Carrick22FR wrote: 08 May 2023, 21:34 First one is the order of pairs, which I always seen as 66 being the strongest. Here the rule is 11 is the strongest. I'd like to have the choice to invert the values as 11 -> 66 seems more intuitive, but may also be less popular (not asking for a replacement, just choosing between the two orders).
Duplicate of https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=88213
Carrick22FR wrote: 08 May 2023, 21:34 - Declaring Mia forces the next player to choose between taking a hit and exposing the announcer. For 3+ players, I've always seen the possibility of giving to the next player as if you're declaring Mia yourself (like any other value), until reaching the last person before the announcer. Yes, you can't go higher, but forcing the next player to deal with the Mia is a bit unfair to people seated next to very aggressive players, and passing can make the mind game about everyone trusting or not your declaration (which is more fun for me).
Rejected as this variant is unfair to the player before 21 roller.
Carrick22FR wrote: 08 May 2023, 21:34 - The fact that exposing someone for declaring Mia, and them being right makes you loose 2 lives is a bit aggresive for me, and I'e only seen players loose one life at a time regardless of the value announced. This rule makes the game more dynamic and risky, but i'd like a way of turning it off as it can make the game more about 21s than anything else.
Rejected as this makes 'accept Mia declaration and lose 1 life' choice meaningless.

If you have a suggestion, use BGA bug report system instead. Thanks for playing :)
Arnetto

Post by Arnetto »

Really enjoying this and fun to discover and play a game with such a simple rule set and ancient history. Thanks so much for the implementation!

Could you help me understand the "original caller" order of play and strategy? If I have a high roll, say 2-2, and that is accepted and passed all the way around back to me, then my only options are to reroll or declare higher, what is the advantage of declaring a high roll? This seems like a weirdly imbalanced disadvantage relative to the roll value (especially since the odds of rolling 2-3 are the same as rolling 2-2).

I feel like I am missing some element of strategy. In a two-player game, or when an elimination game is down to two players, it's kinda bonkers. Even with a high roll, I should go for a middling declaration – seemingly more likely to be accepted and so I can beat my own score? Huh?

Very curious. Thanks!
ufm

Post by ufm »

Arnetto wrote: 29 June 2023, 23:18 I feel like I am missing some element of strategy. In a two-player game, or when an elimination game is down to two players, it's kinda bonkers. Even with a high roll, I should go for a middling declaration – seemingly more likely to be accepted and so I can beat my own score? Huh?
You have 3 choices:

- Declare a value higher than the result (bluff).
If your opponent accepts and passes, you can immediately challenge and win that round.
If your opponent challenges... Well, your bluff has failed, obviously.

- Declare the exact same value as the result.
If your opponent accepts and passes, you have to roll a higher value.
If your opponent challenges, you win that round.

- Declare a value lower than the result.
If your opponent accepts and passes, you have to roll a higher value, but it doesn't have to be higher than the previous result.
If your opponent challenges, you still win that round.

So if your opponent often passes the dice, you can bluff your way out occasionally.
After all, Mia is a bluffing game. If you really don't like that choice, you can turn it off in the lobby.

Return to “Mia”