the option to give up the game / ein Spiel aufgeben

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
ahyangyi

Re: the option to give up the game / ein Spiel aufgeben

Post by ahyangyi »

Some context: the OP encounters this in real-time Kingdom Builder games.

I do feel that I appreciate the concede button for some of the more abstract games (where an early mistake can leave you in a hopeless state), as well as particularly brutal ones (like the built-in concede option in Through the Ages), but I also feel that one shouldn't concede near the end of Kingdom Builder.
Ditto11

Post by Ditto11 »

My best example of a good time / sensible to "concede" .. (not quit .. I agree, no good reason to quit other than emergency or something like that .. different issue :) )

Is in Backgammon.
A recent game of mine had a pretty clear example of this:

Not sure which turn, but play it through .. I end up getting a lucky setup, and totally block my opponent out of putting is blot back in for like 5 or 6 turns in a row.
Even though he finally knocks one of mine out . the game continues, and ends up in this state:
https://imgur.com/uFaqrZa

At this point, he can't win. Even if he rolls double 6's for the rest of the game, it'll take him 7 more turns to go out.
If, by contrast, I roll nothing but 1-2 for rest of the game, it will take me only 5 turns.

Since the game is unwinnable, there isn't really any point in continuing to play. This is a perfect time to concede, perfectly respectable, IMHO, from either standpoint.

Even winning, it's just tedious and waste of time to keep clicking ... an "autoplay" option would be nice to have here . ;)
If somebody REALLY wants to play it out .. go ahead .... if I was red, I conceded, and the gold player can play it out against an autoplay bot .. (don't need any logic .. just move the farthest blot up .. ;) )
SmilingDevil

Post by SmilingDevil »

Giving someone the option to „Give up“ or forfeit a game is very useful to have, however, I‘d like to be able to see how many times a player used that option in the statistics, and If this is not reflected in his karma (which at this point I assume it isn’t, but maybe should be considered) I‘d like to avoid players likely to give up cause they want a certain „Gaming style“ and if they don‘t get it from their opponent, they forfeit.

I have just recently run into someone who seemed it „Unfair“ I play a certain style and wanted me to not „block“ which is a valid game tactics from my POV..

skipping the game half way is not something I find very pleasing, or a good use of my free time, even if I get to keep the „win“.., I‘d rather have those people not get joined with me, as it seems they do not mean to improve their gaming and I have nothing to learn from them.

Return to “Suggestions”