Translating Earth: list of plants

BGA localization discussions
fruktansvärt

Translating Earth: list of plants

Post by fruktansvärt »

the designer of the game Earth has kindly supplied a spreadsheet of the cards in the game:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
(copied from this blog post:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/281236 ... iary-earth )

as it includes the scientific name, it makes it easier to find the correct translation in your language.
sadly, it seems to be missing the animals.
cigma

Re: Translating Earth: list of plants

Post by cigma »

Thank you, fruktansvärt!

While translating into German, I used Wikipedia very often: Look for the english name (or latin name, if given) and then check if there is a translation of this page into your language. This worked pretty well in many cases. I only had to give up if there where several latin names for the same english name and couldn't identify which one of them was actually used in the game.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

cigma wrote: 25 April 2023, 11:21 I only had to give up if there where several latin names for the same english name and couldn't identify which one of them was actually used in the game.
yes, same here, which is why I looked for a list. it helped in many cases, you can often just copy a latin name from the list directly into your language wikipedia, or other botanical encyclopedia.

still have no idea what a Giant Gilled is, though.
Nastaa

Post by Nastaa »

Thank you for the link fruktansvärt :)
fruktansvärt wrote: 26 April 2023, 15:54 still have no idea what a Giant Gilled is, though.
I think it is a Macrocybe titans (previous name: Tricholoma titans). It seems to not have a (standard) common name in many languages. For example, in French the card uses Macrocybe titans both as common name and scientific name.

Return to “Translations”