Implementing Solo/Sam

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
FireManBearPig

Implementing Solo/Sam

Post by FireManBearPig »

Not sure if anyone else would be interested in playing GWT solo on BGA. I used to play it all the time on BoardGameFiesta, but that closed down since so many users came to BGA's implementation. I love playing the game, but sometimes I enjoy a lower pressure game against the AI. Is there a place where one can "request" such a feature? It would be killer to be able to play OG GWT with Rails to the North against Sam.
IronMan5464

Re: Implementing Solo/Sam

Post by IronMan5464 »

I made a forum post about this as well. I'd love to see a solo mode developed. I think the only way of asking for it to be developed is though a forum post.
palynko

Post by palynko »

We should comment here to express our interest
Zipster

Post by Zipster »

I'd like a solo version. For me, it's the best way for me to fully understand the mechanics of a game, as well as test different strategies. I hope a solo version is implemented.
Mr_yoso

Post by Mr_yoso »

I would love a solo mode. It would work really well as SAM is already designed in the 2nd edition. Plus there are already quite a few BGA games with solo.
armoxley

Post by armoxley »

I’m newer to board games and the solo modes definitely help me learn a game before playing against others, especially if they are good players.
FireManBearPig

Post by FireManBearPig »

The bug forum might not have been the correct place to ask for this feature, but I did stumble across this:

https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=82895

If y'all vote for this feature, the devs might notice.
Patrick of the Isles

Post by Patrick of the Isles »

I strongly oppose the implementation of solo modes for all games on BGA, and especially for this game. I know most other folks in this thread will disagree, and I don't say it to be unfriendly at all, I only want to note my perspective.

Additionally, both the 2nd edition Rails to the North expansion and the two later games in the GWT trilogy, GWT Argentina and GWT New Zealand, are not on BGA at present, and would bring great enjoyment to many players if they were added. I recommend any efforts toward new GWT content be put toward implementing those games.
FireManBearPig

Post by FireManBearPig »

Patrick of the Isles wrote: 29 August 2023, 08:52 I strongly oppose the implementation of solo modes for all games on BGA
I understand you wanting Argentina/NZ and other games to be prioritized higher than a solo mode for GWT, but why do you strongly oppose solo implementations in general?
Patrick of the Isles

Post by Patrick of the Isles »

FireManBearPig wrote: 29 August 2023, 18:10
Patrick of the Isles wrote: 29 August 2023, 08:52 I strongly oppose the implementation of solo modes for all games on BGA
I understand you wanting Argentina/NZ and other games to be prioritized higher than a solo mode for GWT, but why do you strongly oppose solo implementations in general?
Hmm I suppose I think solitaire games are quite a distinct thing, different in substance than board games, which are defined by testing ideas against another mind. More to the point, I think BGA is uniquely well-suited to meeting the interests and needs of board gamers, and think trying to also meet the interests and needs of solitaire gamers might create issues and distract from the core focus. So I think implementing solitaire gaming on a wholly different site would be my preference.

Return to “Great Western Trail”