Perfect score - though loss of ELO

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Zwollywood

Perfect score - though loss of ELO

Post by Zwollywood »

I think it is kind of lame that when I reach the perfect score (300) and tie to my opponent with less ELO, I lose ELO. Is it technically possible to not lose ELO in such a case? Overall I think it's too easy to reach the perfect score. Is there a way to add some sort of difficulty level/other maps or something? What are your thoughts, community?
Stuff by Bez

Re: Perfect score - though loss of ELO

Post by Stuff by Bez »

I've played 14 times and not been able to get higher than 270 or 280.

I don't think it's so easy to get a perfect score.

But I do think that there's a lot of luck in the game, so maybe it's not the best-suited to arena?

I'm not sure.
Stuff by Bez

Post by Stuff by Bez »

I do think that new maps could be interesting for some, but I don't think that would solve the underlying problem necessarily.

Also, that's something they'd want to think about for the physical game firstly, since that is still what boardgames are ultimately being designed for...

I think that as a family game, it seems fine. Each turn is a simple little puzzle I could imagine my nieces feeling challenged with.
emilouanna

Post by emilouanna »

A 'perfect score' in any game has no bearing on Elo -- it's a metric meant to express relative skill levels between players.

If a lower ranked opponent is able to tie with you, a higher ranked opponent, their Elo will go up and yours will go down. It does not take into consideration what the maximum possible score is, only the difference between players' scores.
Zwollywood

Post by Zwollywood »

I understand how ELO works and what it does, but thanks for clarifying :) You are right, the ELO-system works just fine. Maybe I should reframe my statement: it is frustrating to play a perfect game and tie to 100ELO/200ELO opponents and lose ELO. In the few games I played, it happened twice already. It says me the game is too easy. No matter how skilled or experienced players are, the perfect score is easily reached (no by all players, I understand).

I'm looking for ways to make the game more interesting and challenging for players who reach perfect score most (or a lot) of the times. Is it maybe an idea to add the option to play 10 days instead of 12 to make it more challenging? Maybe we can think of options like this to suggest to the developers of the game.
emilouanna

Post by emilouanna »

Play because you like a game, not because you want an Elo score. :roll:
Fitz Roy

Post by Fitz Roy »

emilouanna wrote: 29 March 2023, 20:25 A 'perfect score' in any game has no bearing on Elo -- it's a metric meant to express relative skill levels between players.

If a lower ranked opponent is able to tie with you, a higher ranked opponent, their Elo will go up and yours will go down. It does not take into consideration what the maximum possible score is, only the difference between players' scores.
Yes, happened to me, today:
A perfect tie with both at 300 points,
me starting from 163 , +4 ELO
my opponent starting from 317, -5 ELO.
nccc

Post by nccc »

Why is perfect score 300?
Could anyone explain? :)
ufm

Post by ufm »

nccc wrote: 16 May 2023, 02:35 Why is perfect score 300?
Could anyone explain? :)
There are 5 scoring categories in this game, and each player can visit up to 12 places.

- 10 Points for every Destination visited (maximum 120: 10 * 12 places)
- 20 Points for visiting Dudhsagar
- 20/30/40 Points for completing all three places in a Tour Plan Card (maximum 80: 40 * 2 cards as each player receives 2 cards)
- 30 Points for each set of 5 unique Tourist Destinations (maximum 60: 30 * 2 sets)
- 10/30 Points for visiting 3/6 Tourist Destinations of the same type (maximum 60, but 2 triplets combined with 2 five-type sets score more points)

Maximum points total: 120 + 20 + 80 + 60 + 20 = 300
nccc

Post by nccc »

cool,ty!

Return to “Go Goa”