Why Does This Game Attract Rude People?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Shaq Jenkins

Why Does This Game Attract Rude People?

Post by Shaq Jenkins »

Love Letter is such a great game. My in person gaming group loves it because it's simple and fun.

For some reason, I've had horrible experiences with Love Letter on this site, which is why I'm taking a break from playing it. I noticed that there's a large amount of rage quitters (3 people quit today because they were losing), people who will only target one specific player even though it makes no strategic sense, and rude, insulting comments in the chat. 75% of the red thumbs I've given on this site are from Love Letter games.

It's sad that a silly luck based game about love attracts this type of nasty behavior...

Has anyone else noticed this?
Jellby

Re: Why Does This Game Attract Rude People?

Post by Jellby »

What do you expect with player elimination and direct one-to-one attacks? :D
GeorgeBull

Post by GeorgeBull »

I try to clarify just one point from your list. It is possible, that your rating in this game is so great, that others thinks that You are the most dangerous player. So they choose You as a primary target. I could not imagine other reasons. Why do 3 random players may be angry with another one?
And one case from my small expirience. It was a player who loose me, but he had seen my card (Princess). And he wrote a hint in the chat to another player about my card. It was sad, but it was only once.
Ze Monstah

Post by Ze Monstah »

GeorgeBull wrote: 11 January 2023, 22:46 It is possible, that your rating in this game is so great, that others thinks that You are the most dangerous player. So they choose You as a primary target. I could not imagine other reasons. Why do 3 random players may be angry with another one?
Please.

Some players never attack the ones who are in the lead, but randomly target ones that have 0 points... with no logic at all.
If you (insult-free) question them why doing that, they go "please let people play as they want, don't be toxic" or "maybe i have an ultra-secret plan" or "why talk? this is a silent game" or etc.
A player A (not a beginner) once wrong-guarded a player B (who was closest to victory), after seeing and knowing B's card. And it was not a misclick.
When I criticised that action, B actually defended A, saying that I cannot know what a player's hidden strategy is, and that perhaps A actually played to his/her own advantage, instead of his/hers (B).
I found that particularly hypocritical, and sadly, that's the case for Love Letter in general: people defend others' actions when those particular others helped them somehow, even though strategy-wise, there was no logic.

I think a lot of players who have never previously met, tend to target others perhaps (sub)consciously, triggered by particular stimuli: the profile pic, the username, the color of the username in the game, the country flag, etc.
It might be a stretch, but I really think so.

Ideally, the people would know how to play and just attack the ones in the lead first, until further notice; but people rarely do that, preferring a random logic-free strategy.
So that's why one should either play this with people they know & are closer to or... just be strategy and psychologically-uninvolved when playing with random humans.

I support the OP's idea of taking a break from this game, and anyone else who takes a break from this game.
If there's a game out there that gets closer to a certain previous T word, this and "Bang" are the ones, I think.
When life gives you a ZeMon, make ZeMonade...
https://youtu.be/YlmKmM3WCpM
KonaStar13

Post by KonaStar13 »

I have also experienced it. Just the other day I got yelled at for not knowing how to play when all I was doing is following my strategy. The one princess had already been used but I still called it because I wanted to waste my guard. I have experienced it too, I get if you target me when I am in the lead but don't when I'm not. Sometimes I think all the other players are really good friends and are just trying to get me out. But people are people you can't let them get to you. Also I get that you are trying to get the other player to lose but you don't have to be rude about it, take it maturely cause it's a game, and play fairly.
ETOH and Coke

Post by ETOH and Coke »

Not trying to be insensitive, but it's a Hard Ball world out there. You are playing the world here, a lot of weird types. Toughen Up.. Good Luck.
Madlaine

Post by Madlaine »

When someone get bossy, i attack him no matter if it make sense or not :mrgreen:

Some people really think they are good at this 90% luck game, so i like To add a little spice in their strategy.

Return to “Love Letter”