Terrible algorithms

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Hawklord317

Re: Terrible algorithms

Post by Hawklord317 »

dj greek salad wrote: 15 November 2020, 13:15 How have the administrators not addressed the issue with the lousy algorithms in this game? I hear complaints over and over from fellow players and am sick and tired of it myself. Win 20 in a row, lose 20 in a row. Repeat. Skill level of opponent irrelevant. Fix the gameplay.
[/quoteI agree totally, Im a very good player, BUT there is no way I can lose so much . Rolls are just plain stupid. Seems people get the EXACT rolls needed to win a game when really cornered. Happens way too much. Good bye BGA.
]
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

Hawklord317 wrote: 17 May 2023, 19:09 agree totally, Im a very good player, BUT there is no way I can lose so much .
It is a sign that you are not actually a very good player if you cannot imagine/recognize that long unlucky streaks are very possible, not even unlikely, even for the best players.

You have 58% winrate, which is very good. The harsh reality is that getting an even higher winrate is extremely hard. The other harsh reality is that Elo is not working well for Backgammon on BGA, you should better ignore it. In contrast to what is often said, it doesn't converge to your "true" Elo, rather it is bound to jump tremendously up and down.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

The algos at Backgammon Galaxy and VIP Games are just as bad, if not worse than BGA...VIP's is especially laughable.
a_trex

Post by a_trex »

I've been playing for many years and I can honestly say I've never seen such incredibly bad "random" dice rolls. Some out there will go really? It's not impossible that someone gets that in a game.... sure... but for it to happen so frequently - this definitely requires fixing. I know its a free game, but please just fix it - it isn't enjoyable playing a game where you have ZERO chance of winning
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

It would be interesting to see a backgammon game where both players have zero chance of winning :D
BackGa

Post by BackGa »

In this game my opponent wins the game in 21 rolls. From the 7th roll, he does 7 doubles which is 1/2! I wouldn't mention if it happened only once....

https://boardgamearena.com/archive/repl ... s=91199929;
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

BackGa wrote: 03 June 2023, 17:09 In this game my opponent wins the game in 21 rolls. From the 7th roll, he does 7 doubles which is 1/2! I wouldn't mention if it happened only once....

Probability to roll at least 7 doubles in 21 rolls: 4.8% (1 chance out of 20,9).

So since you got 12k games, it should have happened in average 600 times for you, and 600 times for the opponent.
And 30 of those times it was for both players at the same time :)
Gulchen

Post by Gulchen »

BackGa wrote: 03 June 2023, 17:09 In this game my opponent wins the game in 21 rolls. From the 7th roll, he does 7 doubles which is 1/2! I wouldn't mention if it happened only once....

Even if one specializes to both

your opponent, rather than you
and
from the 7th roll

, ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ one still gets that the probability of at least seven
doubles in those rolls is between ​ ​ ​ 1/151 and 1/152 ​ .

(Also, as mentioned by Romain672, you have played
more than 12000 games of Backgammon here.)
BackGa

Post by BackGa »

Gulchen wrote: 03 June 2023, 20:09

Even if one specializes to both

your opponent, rather than you
and
from the 7th roll

, ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ one still gets that the probability of at least seven
doubles in those rolls is between ​ ​ ​ 1/151 and 1/152 ​ .

(Also, as mentioned by Romain672, you have played
more than 12000 games of Backgammon here.)
Is +12K games not enough to give feedback ?
Yesterday I went from top 50 to 950th, pure bad luck? I'm an experienced player as you've seen (and that's only BGA) and I have been in top ten many times and couldn't believe those games
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

BackGa wrote: 04 June 2023, 05:14Is +12K games not enough to give feedback ?
Yesterday I went from top 50 to 950th, pure bad luck? I'm an experienced player as you've seen (and that's only BGA) and I have been in top ten many times and couldn't believe those games
You can give feedbacks, but that will do nothing (like our answers).

This is just a commun behaviour. Humans are bad at perceiving randomness.
Like I'm really confident that my 1/20 probability really surprise you.
If that's the case, you can just assume it's the same for many of your others perceptions.

There was lots of complain on the forum about randomness.
We rarely got some maths from those, and when we got some, it has been always debunked. I think one time it was a bug which was corrected, but all others time, nothing was really weird.
On others posts, you can have access to the (php?) code which is used in many site.

And yes, on a game where it's hard to have >60% winrate, the rng factor is enormous. Even with 60% winrate, after each game your chance for the last 5 to be 5 defeats is superior to 1%.

Return to “Backgammon”