Rule suggestion - No trumps on the 1st hand

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Mcteabie

Rule suggestion - No trumps on the 1st hand

Post by Mcteabie »

Whenever I was taught Knockout Whist, whenever you played your first hand on each round, trumps did not count, even if it was the only suit you had. In a recent game, BGA allowed trumps on the very first hand and it threw me through a loop. I always assumed the no trumps rule was universal. Has anyone else ever played with this rule?
ufm

Re: Rule suggestion - No trumps on the 1st hand

Post by ufm »

I consulted multiple rules sources while coding this game, but I couldn't find such a variant at all.
As I can't implement all variant rules in the world for obvious reasons, I won't implement this one.
GeraldineMerida

Post by GeraldineMerida »

I grew up playing Knockout Whist and have never played it with no trumps in any round. I was shocked when my opponent opted for that in my first game.

Since there are other optional variants in this implementation, I'd like to be able to play with the option to turn off no trumps.
GeraldineMerida

GeraldineMerida wrote: 22 May 2023, 03:08 I grew up playing Knockout Whist and have never played it with no trumps in any round. I was shocked when my opponent opted for that in my first game.

Since there are other optional variants in this implementation, I'd like to be able to play with the option to turn off no trumps.
In fact, in the Pagat rules you link to, No Trumps as an optional call from Round 2 is described as a variation, not standard play.
ufm

Post by ufm »

GeraldineMerida wrote: 22 May 2023, 03:21
GeraldineMerida wrote: 22 May 2023, 03:08 I grew up playing Knockout Whist and have never played it with no trumps in any round. I was shocked when my opponent opted for that in my first game.

In fact, in the Pagat rules you link to, No Trumps as an optional call from Round 2 is described as a variation, not standard play.
No trumps call variant is popular in Whist variants including this one and in many trick-taking games it is in the standard rules.
Also, no trumps call is harder to do correctly and usually less advantageous unless your hand fully consists of top cards from all suits.
GeraldineMerida

ufm wrote: 22 May 2023, 08:05
No trumps call variant is popular in Whist variants including this one and in many trick-taking games it is in the standard rules.
Also, no trumps call is harder to do correctly and usually less advantageous unless your hand fully consists of top cards from all suits.
I'm familiar with No Trumps as a call in other whist games, and understand it strategically. The point is that in Knockout Whist, it is NOT part of the standard rules. Therefore, it should be an option here, not a core part of the game that cannot be turned off.
ufm

Post by ufm »

GeraldineMerida wrote: 22 May 2023, 19:18
ufm wrote: 22 May 2023, 08:05
I'm familiar with No Trumps as a call in other whist games, and understand it strategically. The point is that in Knockout Whist, it is NOT part of the standard rules. Therefore, it should be an option here, not a core part of the game that cannot be turned off.
Rejected as unnecessarily adding options brings severe negative impact on matchmaking.

Return to “Knockout Whist”