What am i doing wrong? [about strategy]

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
not a duck

What am i doing wrong? [about strategy]

Post by not a duck »

So, it looks like that i definitely not understanding something about general game strategy.

70 games played, 9 wins and most of the time someone wins when i am not near close to knowing my cards.

I get that i should try and calculate what cards other players have in hands, i get that i should try to not not ask questions that gave other too much information, but i probably missing something.

Can anyone give hints about their winning plays and/or give links to good educational example of games here on BGA?
bionic20

Re: What am i doing wrong? [about strategy]

Post by bionic20 »

I also started playing very recently and Im also wondering about the meta for this game. Only playing 4p for now, I see most hardcore players go for 1v1. Im not good but average (9wins of 35games)

First thing that seems clear for me is that all first 4 moves should go to secret informant. Im not creating clues for the other players while getting to see more cards, no-brainer. In games with people over 100 elo pretty much all first 4 moves is everyone uncovering those cards before the game actually begins.

Failed accusations are a literal reveal of 3 cards which cannot be on the opponents' answer so its very costly. On the other hand, I have never been able to win a game when im 100% sure of my cards and, quite the opposite, if I wait to be 100% sure, an opponent guesses right first. My take is that if you have 2 locked cards and are 50%-50% on the last one, go for it.

Just like you, I would like high elo players to share more basic strategy about this game. Im quite addicted so far!
Nyteglori

Post by Nyteglori »

Pay attention to what people ask as well as the answers. For example if you know that I can see two yellow cards but you have not figured out where the third yellow is and I ask for yellow, you know that the third one is not in what they can see - not in your displayed cards and not in their hidden cards. Until you get better at it you might restrict opponents to near your level.
tchobello

Post by tchobello »

I've played 200+ games and most of the time, I've lost to players who've given an accusation based on guessing as penalty for wrong accusations is too light.
vidicate0

Post by vidicate0 »

tchobello wrote: 23 May 2023, 17:41 I've played 200+ games and most of the time, I've lost to players who've given an accusation based on guessing as penalty for wrong accusations is too light.
The penalty for not guessing is pretty high though …

Return to “13 Clues”