Cheating

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
ToDie

Cheating

Post by ToDie »

Hello there,

in my last game, I had the unpleasant experience to meet a player who uses AI to win the game easily. He did not only play every move perfectly (as I checked after the game), he even told me during the game that he is using AI to beat me.
I think that this behavior destroys the whole purpose of playing games. Is there any policy to deal with such players? I could not find any option like "cheating" in the reporting system.

Kind regards!

PS: I am aware that I can use the red thumb to avoid playing with this player again. However, I am pretty sure that nobody wants to play with an AI-player.
augustin F

Re: Cheating

Post by augustin F »

I have seen the same question in chess forum... https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 88&t=15499
It may help you... (but I don't know if it helped me :roll: :lol: )
https://boardgamearena.com/player : this is my profile page :D
Pombeest

Post by Pombeest »

Earlier today I have resigned a game against another AI-player, and like you I was looking for a way to report it. It seems that BGA chooses not to free up resources to deal with this problem, and although playing AI-players is highly annoying, I do understand this choice. It's quite timeconsuming, and proving it beyond doubt is very hard. I have read the chessforum concerning the same problem, and although it doesn't help in terms of solutions, it was insightful to read. I guess the best we can do, is sharing those experiences here, and red-thumb the opponents in question for ourselves.
Wvlfpvp

Post by Wvlfpvp »

Urgh, I am participating in "Go The Round Go fortnight" tournament where I am confident there are at least 2-players that are using AI. It is frustrating playing them, not because of the perfect play but more of the disrespect for other players. What is the point of coming 1st in the tournament when you are aided by AI?

One of the player, which I don't know if I should name, has been using AI to reach a high ELO in Go (and many other board games that can be computerised, such as Chess, Checkers, Connect 4, etc.). Upon reviewing the 5 Go-game he loses at, they are all terrible games. As if he/she doesn't even know the rules of "eyes" and "liberty" and they alternate between horrible stone placement to a perfect sequence! This frustrates me.

So how do I know at least 2-players are cheating? Because I showed my games to my other IRL friends and we are all 5D and 6D amateur Go players on OGS in Australia. And one of them even run one game through KataGo and deemed 98% preferred move by AI. So there is very little doubt that we are wrong.

What can we do about it?
Last edited by Wvlfpvp on 12 March 2022, 03:51, edited 1 time in total.
ufm

Post by ufm »

BGA cannot run anti-cheat algorithms for obvious reasons. This is not a dedicated site for abstract games.
Closing competitive features like Chess, Gomoku and other solvable word games is the only possible solution.
Wvlfpvp

Post by Wvlfpvp »

Yeah, sadly BGA doesn't have the resources nor expertise for these cheating detections!

Oh, just to update. After I confronted the said-player of using AI and showed him evidence that he did cheat, around 30-minutes ago he closed his account (created back in 2016)! So if he wasn't cheating, he can make a come back, but seems that his action showed that he is.

Now, one more player to confront.
AnitaMarron

Post by AnitaMarron »

Hi I just played a game of Carcasonne against a player named Bug_Abuser. He was able to change or remove my meeple with his. Clearly "Abusing a Bug". He used the chat during the game to let me know he had a "Surprise" for me. Then removed my meeple and replaced it with his and winning the castle. Very frustrating. Anyone else run into this? There doesn't seem to be a way to report this.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

1. Report the bug.
2. Report the player (there is a category for exploiting a known bug).
3. Write in the Carcassonne forum, not in the Go forum. :D

Return to “Go”