PSA: 5-player games make no sense

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Snowcrash000

PSA: 5-player games make no sense

Post by Snowcrash000 »

At four players, everyone gets two clues instead of one. Since it's quicker to find 3 instead of 4 other players as well, obviously, there is literally no reason to ever open a 5-player game, where one duplicate will leave you with only two clues.
SquashEngineer

Re: PSA: 5-player games make no sense

Post by SquashEngineer »

+1 Agreed. That's a great rationale. Similar to solo & 2 player, 5 Player game doesn't even need to be a game option choice.
Daisyjo

Post by Daisyjo »

I agree. In fact, if someone proposes play with only 5 (because they're inpatient) I quit the game. #sorrynotsorry
aghagh

Post by aghagh »

Another option could be awarding +1 extra elo for this setup.
MasterMystery

Post by MasterMystery »

for a social fun game? maybe with friends you just are 5, keep the option of course
Xhabbo

Post by Xhabbo »

Snowcrash000 wrote: 08 March 2023, 00:59 ... there is literally no reason to ever open a 5-player game...
We do, its a good game to play with a bunch of folks, especially if some of them are not hard core board gamers. Easy enough to understand for the casual user, (or older folks) Works well for us as a distributed family activity. For me, its not a game to play in a quest for BGA points

If you don't like 5+ players, don't play with more than three others. I see no need to change the implementation here.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

Xhabbo wrote: 12 July 2023, 23:49
Snowcrash000 wrote: 08 March 2023, 00:59 ... there is literally no reason to ever open a 5-player game...
We do, its a good game to play with a bunch of folks, especially if some of them are not hard core board gamers. Easy enough to understand for the casual user, (or older folks) Works well for us as a distributed family activity. For me, its not a game to play in a quest for BGA points

If you don't like 5+ players, don't play with more than three others. I see no need to change the implementation here.
The issue is specifically the digital implementation of only 5 players on BGA. (not about more than 3, not about playing with friends and family, not how good or easy the game is) The premise is that the game clues become very limited with that specific player count, so much so that it probably doesn't need to be offered as an option on BGA.

If it were changed, the limitation may appear confusing initially for players wanting to start a game in a group of 5, without the background knowledge why it might have been removed as an option. But like other games, there are limitations on player count that just make sense, based on the capability, and mechanics of the game. Just One SHOULD NOT be offered at 5 players.
Xhabbo

Post by Xhabbo »

The official game rules for Just One are that each player gets one clue, except in the 3 player variant where each gets 2. II interpret the original post to be that a 5 player game is impractical because that;s the threshold where the BGA implementation drops to 1 clue per player. I suppose a more accurate implementation would be to drop to 1 clue per for any thing other than 3 players. I also suppose that more players increases the chance of clue cancellation regardless of clues per person.

I guess I just don't see where its an important enough issue to bother addressing.

I wish that cursor focus would move to the clue entry text area when the page loads, because I sometimes start typing with out clicking there first and it pops up the chat window. imho this is also a token thing not worth the effort to change
Snowcrash000

Post by Snowcrash000 »

Xhabbo wrote: 12 July 2023, 23:49

I never asked for anything to be changed, I merely stated that it makes no sense to open 5p games when playing with randoms. If you are a group of 5 people, go for it, but when opening games for randoms, it's always better to either open a 4p or 7p game.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

Seems a 3 player game would have the same problem as a five player game. Four clue words reduced to 2 clue words, if any two are removed as duplicates.

Return to “Just One”