I feel like I'm missing the point of the game

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
QueenGambitAccepted

I feel like I'm missing the point of the game

Post by QueenGambitAccepted »

I've tried this game multiple times long ago, I remember 2 distinct cases, once where I've defeated a strong player (but had very easy decisions to make, and felt like I was just luckier). And another time where I felt like I was just unlucky and couldn't do much about it, I think both were 2p.

As a result, I've decided then that this game is too luck-based for my taste, and I didn't find the decisions too difficult or engaging enough to think about.

That was back then, but I feel like giving the game another try, I'm just curious though, what do you all like about this game? Do you think the decisions are engaging and you have something to think about? What is your favorite player count as well?
ChiefPointThief

Re: I feel like I'm missing the point of the game

Post by ChiefPointThief »

I like the pace of the game and simplicity. At the same time it is very strategic because you must make your gizmos work together. As you mentioned though there is a luck factor in getting gizmos that mesh. But there are players w/ high elo so the luck factor isnt overwhelming.

Can someone explain the rainbow point card? I don’t understand how it is calculated.
Raymond-L

Post by Raymond-L »

Ex-competitive player here. I scored the top 1 arena position, and entered the top 10 elo rank before quitting.
Let me explain, I still love the game, and when people invite me to training games, I still do.
My major 2 concerns with Gizmos are: It is a premium game; and yes, the luck factor is way too heavy.
The majority of players I know are fine with that level of luck influences, but just like you, I am not.
Being a non-premium player, trying to grind the game is hellish. You want to find matches, but you can't open a table by yourself. And after minutes of waiting, you may just lose the match out of sheer luck. Usually I set a goal for myself (e.g. 500 elo! top x or sth) and start playing training mode games exclusively after reaching it. You cannot do that if you're not a premium player.
So, why would I still like the game?
It's simple, I love building engines, and this is the most satisfying engine building game I have ever played. The luck factor is a disappointment, but the mechanism is fantastic. When I was still crazy grinding for Gizmos, I really felt like this is the best game ever.
I have wrote a guide for the game. You can message me if you're interested, and I can send it to you by email.
Noticed that I barely answered your questions: Yes, this game still requires skill. The decisions are very engaging. I found decision making generally pretty easy, but I am fairly confident with my skill level, and I have seen many players making mistakes. I prefer 2-player games, and I think the arena should stay in the current format.
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

ChiefPointThief wrote: 22 May 2023, 15:23 Can someone explain the rainbow point card? I don’t understand how it is calculated.
it's easy to think the rainbow cards give you 7 points, but they don't, that is the cost – 7 balls of any color.
instead, they give as may points as you have of something else, i.e. point tokens, how many ball you can hold.
QueenGambitAccepted

Post by QueenGambitAccepted »

Raymond-L wrote: 23 May 2023, 15:31 Ex-competitive player here. I scored the top 1 arena position, and entered the top 10 elo rank before quitting.
Let me explain, I still love the game, and when people invite me to training games, I still do.
My major 2 concerns with Gizmos are: It is a premium game; and yes, the luck factor is way too heavy.
The majority of players I know are fine with that level of luck influences, but just like you, I am not.
Being a non-premium player, trying to grind the game is hellish. You want to find matches, but you can't open a table by yourself. And after minutes of waiting, you may just lose the match out of sheer luck. Usually I set a goal for myself (e.g. 500 elo! top x or sth) and start playing training mode games exclusively after reaching it. You cannot do that if you're not a premium player.
So, why would I still like the game?
It's simple, I love building engines, and this is the most satisfying engine building game I have ever played. The luck factor is a disappointment, but the mechanism is fantastic. When I was still crazy grinding for Gizmos, I really felt like this is the best game ever.
I have wrote a guide for the game. You can message me if you're interested, and I can send it to you by email.
Noticed that I barely answered your questions: Yes, this game still requires skill. The decisions are very engaging. I found decision making generally pretty easy, but I am fairly confident with my skill level, and I have seen many players making mistakes. I prefer 2-player games, and I think the arena should stay in the current format.
Thanks for the detailed response! Very much appreciated to hear a top player's perspective!
Fletcheese

Post by Fletcheese »

I recommend reading through the BGA strategy/tips for the game which give some insight into what is difficult about the game. The main thing is deciding when to research. It's (usually) pretty easy to determine if a face-up Gizmo is very good for you once you know the general strategy (build triggers are OP), but knowing when to research because the face-up ones are only okay is the most skill testing part of the game IMO. Obviously the result of that research is luck, but making the decision in the first place is hard.

Also 2-player is by far the highest skill level format for Gizmos. You can now effectively make plays to block your opponent. E.g. if they need an energy of a particular color and only one remains in the row then taking it might be your best play. This is basically never the case in >2 players.
Kezl

Post by Kezl »

Hi Raymond. This is a really interesting and helpful perspective on the game! I'd be interested to read your guide.

Have you contributed to the game description or strategy notes on BGA? It's quite easy to add to/edit; I've done it on mobile before. (I'm just mentioning this in case this is something that would interest you but that you hadn't considered.)

Also, this is a game that I'm interested in practicing a bit. Add me as a friend or pm me if you'd like to play a few training games and I can set one up. I'd be happy to play competitively or get advice. I find it useful both ways playing against someone with a good grasp of the game 😊
Raymond-L wrote: 23 May 2023, 15:31 I have wrote a guide for the game. You can message me if you're interested, and I can send it to you by email.
jasonred79

Post by jasonred79 »

I would love to read the guide too. Anything to up my game

Return to “Gizmos”