ARK NOVA: Zoo(u)topia

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Tisaac

Re: ARK NOVA: Zoo(u)topia

Post by Tisaac »

ProperPlay wrote: 28 May 2023, 17:08 Hi all!

First of all thank you to everyone involved in making this game available on BGA.

I was wondering if it would be possible to include the "Shortened Game" option here.

I'm not sure if it's something official or just a recommendation from the designer but on my first game of Ark Nova playing with the physical copy the owner of the game reduced quite some steps on the score track to make the game shorter and it works much better.

To be honest I really enjoy the first and last 30 minutes of the game but the hour or more in between (with 3P) is quite boring and feels like a chore.

Are you considering adding this in the near future?

Thanks in advance!
Nope. That's not official so it's very unlikely to be added until you manage to get publisher approval
Starwarrior1128

Post by Starwarrior1128 »

I've been critical of the games BGA has been releasing recently, but bringing Ark Nova to BGA is a huge win in my book. I greatly applaud the planning that went into bringing this game to us. Bravo.
gaming_alyxir

Post by gaming_alyxir »

I can't wait for a tutorial to be made for this game (hopefully)! As a toddler mom I don't have a lot of time to read through instruction manuals so having tutorials for games that I am interested in sooooo helpful. :D :D
ADiplomat

Post by ADiplomat »

One thing I would love to see the developers add would be a drafting option. My game crew drafts 2 brown goals and 8 zoo cards, keeping one and passing the rest (including any left over brown goals) to the player to the left. At the end of the draft, each player should have 8 zoo cards and 2 brown goals.

Our group finds that this adds some extra depth to the beginning of the game and helps even out chances of runaway starting hands.
BenjaminV

Post by BenjaminV »

Very nice!! Thanks for adding this game :-D
aMUSEdTOdeath

Post by aMUSEdTOdeath »

What a fantastic implementation of the game! I am so excited to finally get this to the table more frequently than my physical copy, as turn-based gaming let's me enjoy multiple games over the course of a few days!
Many thanks for your hard work
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

gaming_alyxir wrote: 29 May 2023, 03:38 I can't wait for a tutorial to be made for this game (hopefully)! As a toddler mom I don't have a lot of time to read through instruction manuals so having tutorials for games that I am interested in sooooo helpful. :D :D
I know that someone from the community is working on a tutorial. It will take some time, as tutorials start as alpha, gets reviewed and become beta before they go live for public,
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

Thomas wrote: 31 May 2023, 08:00
gaming_alyxir wrote: 29 May 2023, 03:38 I can't wait for a tutorial to be made for this game (hopefully)! As a toddler mom I don't have a lot of time to read through instruction manuals so having tutorials for games that I am interested in sooooo helpful. :D :D
I know that someone from the community is working on a tutorial. It will take some time, as tutorials start as alpha, gets reviewed and become beta before they go live for public,
Also don't read manuals, or at least not as primary means of learning a game. Watch how to play videos instead, much better, faster and more informative in my opinion :) .
kwand0

Post by kwand0 »

Never mind. I had a misunderstanding of the rules
Last edited by kwand0 on 01 June 2023, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.
jbehne

Post by jbehne »

Having an issue with some rules. When given a free action from a card.. does that normally make you spend that card and move it down to the 1 slot? I thought it was completely free but this BGA version is moving the card after the free action which doesn't seem to agree with RAW. Have the rules been changed?

Return to “Official announcements [en]”