Premium subscription price update (June 1st)

Board Game Arena Official announcements
GoldCrono

Re: Premium subscription price update (June 1st)

Post by GoldCrono »

This site was awesome during COVID. I gladly jumped in for $24/year.

Now that the pandemic isn’t what it was, I’ve still played here from time to time and stayed in at the $24 level.

But am I really here enough to want to up my cost by 50%?

It’s only $3/month, but still…you’re making me think about cancelling.

If the price were staying the same I’d renew no questions asked, but I wonder by raising your price, if you’re going to put unsubscribing on the radar of your existing user base.
JeanCroft

Post by JeanCroft »

[/quote]
But it's harder to consider BGA as a business since the vast majority of money that they are getting from premium is just given to publishers.
[/quote]

I believe there's a misconception here: the fact that a company doesn't get too much profit from what they do doesn't exempt them from being a business.
LordRawnblade

Post by LordRawnblade »

I will likely be cancelling mine too. I play it about once a year, but always "want to" play more but it just never happens. The nail in the coffin is the bad feeling I get in my mouth when I read the original wording and see how they are trying to pass it off.

Also to those who say "It's unrealistic to keep a promise like that to old subscribers to never raise the price" Just look to Humble Bundle, who have done that with their loyal subscribers. They actually had to walkback their higher price changes down to the old level that the past users had due to user demand.
Daredek

Post by Daredek »

Have they determined what Time this is happening.
I am in USA and wondering if it is actually effective on 5/31.
keith7x

Post by keith7x »

GoldCrono wrote: 24 May 2023, 18:58 This site was awesome during COVID. I gladly jumped in for $24/year.

Now that the pandemic isn’t what it was, I’ve still played here from time to time and stayed in at the $24 level.

But am I really here enough to want to up my cost by 50%?

It’s only $3/month, but still…you’re making me think about cancelling.

If the price were staying the same I’d renew no questions asked, but I wonder by raising your price, if you’re going to put unsubscribing on the radar of your existing user base.
Yeah, this is pretty much what happened for me. I had two accounts, one for myself and one for my daughter when I thought the prices would be locked in. We don't play much most of the year but I was happy to keep contributing for the good of the site. I went ahead and unsubscribed both accounts for now and will resubscribe just one account for myself if/when we play during the winter.
rascal

Post by rascal »

Oct 20 : 24 € :D
Oct 21 : 24 € :D
Nov 22 : 30 € :o
Jun 23 : 36 € :cry:

Bye bye premium and possibly BGA.
Windrisen

Post by Windrisen »

There is a part here where any company can choose to simply keep taking the same money they have been taking in the past. I know it seems anti-capitalist to point this out, but if they kept their price the same, they'd likely still have people paying the same amount they had been paying, even if they didn't play very often.

Granted, the company wouldn't make quite as much money (profit deflation, the most evil of evils in any decent capitalist's mind), but they'd still be making some money. Maybe not as much, but maybe people wouldn't have noticed, and just kept paying.

Not that they will listen. I've already been chastised about asking if people that are still upset (as am I) about Friends Only, Turns Based, No TIme Limit with Normal Games (not training), might be cancelling their premium accounts. And now that the founders are gone, it isn't likely that The New Guys will pay any more attention to their user base and how we might feel.

It is just greed, I'm afraid. The few people who are actually paid to help run this site *undoubtedly* did not receive 50% raises (from 24 to 36 Euros, in that example). Nope. The actual employees are told to tighten their belts and make do with the same or less money than they had before. So the business owners raise their rates, not passing that increase in profits on to the employees that actually keep the site running, and we are all supposed to mumble-mumble-disgruntle-mumble about it, and accept that the company just needs that 50% more money, because. Just because. Reasons.

Fortunately, we *do* have a choice as to whether we will put up with it or not, and time will tell if the owners who need that extra money will give up *any* of their profits (egads! gasps!) to keep the site humming along.

I think we all know how that story ends, don't we?

And we can go back to hearing crickets from the people actually running this community, even as they swallow down the fact that they did *not* get a 50% raise like the owners did. Because of course they will.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Windrisen wrote: 04 June 2023, 23:32 There is a part here where any company can choose to simply keep taking the same money they have been taking in the past. I know it seems anti-capitalist to point this out, but if they kept their price the same, they'd likely still have people paying the same amount they had been paying, even if they didn't play very often.

Granted, the company wouldn't make quite as much money (profit deflation, the most evil of evils in any decent capitalist's mind), but they'd still be making some money. Maybe not as much, but maybe people wouldn't have noticed, and just kept paying.

Not that they will listen. I've already been chastised about asking if people that are still upset (as am I) about Friends Only, Turns Based, No TIme Limit with Normal Games (not training), might be cancelling their premium accounts. And now that the founders are gone, it isn't likely that The New Guys will pay any more attention to their user base and how we might feel.

It is just greed, I'm afraid. The few people who are actually paid to help run this site *undoubtedly* did not receive 50% raises (from 24 to 36 Euros, in that example). Nope. The actual employees are told to tighten their belts and make do with the same or less money than they had before. So the business owners raise their rates, not passing that increase in profits on to the employees that actually keep the site running, and we are all supposed to mumble-mumble-disgruntle-mumble about it, and accept that the company just needs that 50% more money, because. Just because. Reasons.

Fortunately, we *do* have a choice as to whether we will put up with it or not, and time will tell if the owners who need that extra money will give up *any* of their profits (egads! gasps!) to keep the site humming along.

I think we all know how that story ends, don't we?

And we can go back to hearing crickets from the people actually running this community, even as they swallow down the fact that they did *not* get a 50% raise like the owners did. Because of course they will.
And what are your sources to back your claims ?
As far as i can see, bga hired more and more people, and also increased the number of paid developpement for games, so i wouldnt be surprised that this represent a significant total increase.
I have personally increased the money i received from them as a developper because there are more and more paid opportunities
Windrisen

Post by Windrisen »

Tisaac wrote: 09 June 2023, 07:25 And what are your sources to back your claims ?
As far as i can see, bga hired more and more people, and also increased the number of paid developpement for games, so i wouldnt be surprised that this represent a significant total increase.
I have personally increased the money i received from them as a developper because there are more and more paid opportunities
First, I'm happy to hear that you are getting more money, and that they are hiring more developers! Yay for y'all, and by extension us.

Of course I don't know anything about the internals of BGA Financials, but my general sense is that they are raising prices just because they can. Not because we are getting any more value, or because they are paying employees more, but because they feel like they can join every other company out there raising prices without increasing customer value or employee pay.

Just because they can.

My landlord wanted to raise my rent 30%, when their real cost of my tenancy hadn't gone up at all. Of course, when I directly asked, the employees weren't getting paid 30% more, and I wasn't getting any more for my money. Their only real cost increase was a slight increase in property taxes. I talked them down to a more reasonable price increase.

My internet provider wanted to raise my prices 35%. Their customer support has gotten worse, and when directly asked, they were not paying their employees more, and were in fact laying off employees. I talked them down to no price increase.

Amazon just wanted to raise my Prime subscription price by 27%. When directly asked, their employees, vendors, contractors, etc did not receive 27% pay increases, and they are in fact laying off employees. I cancelled my Prime membership.

Katie Porter, a US House Representative, has done piles of charts and tables demonstrating that much of the inflation we are feeling across the planet is directly attributable to companies already making record levels of profits simply raising their prices, simply because they can, without a real increase in their cost of doing business, increase in the quality of service to their customers, or increasing the compensation for any but their highest level of executives. Just because they can, not because of any real increase in their costs.

I could go on, but again, I'm happy to hear that BGA is treating you (and I'll assume by extension) your co-developers well. In my mind, companies have a few groups they have to take good care of, including their customers, their employees, the communities in which they function, their vendors, and then the shareholders. If raising prices doesn't help customers, but does help employees, that is at least a bit more palatable.

If their cost of doing business hasn't increased, but they are raising prices, customers always have a choice to shop elsewhere. If a business ignores their customers (bring back Friends Only, Turn-Based, No Time Limit, NORMAL games), the customers may choose to no longer support that business.

At the end of the day, the only entities that really matter to any company making money from customers are those customers themselves. And if the customers aren't happy, for instance because of an unwarranted price increase, but business suffers.

Hope that helps!
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

Windrisen wrote: 14 June 2023, 16:38 Of course I don't know anything about the internals of BGA Financials, but my general sense is that they are raising prices just because they can. N
it was actually explained either by lordalx or by souris that the main position in BGAs budget is royalties to game publishers. Probably more than 50% of premium money goes to game publishers (but I don't know). Of course the owners of BGA will profit from the raise as well but it's absolutely not that they did it just because they can. With more and more premium games, there are more stakeholders to make happy with a fair share.

So it's not just greed, a lot of the premium money is distributed to game publishers.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”