is this a bug or rule?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
fasterfrog

is this a bug or rule?

Post by fasterfrog »

I played an upgraded association action, and I got a worker, but it cannot be used in the same turn.
Leander Quest

Re: is this a bug or rule?

Post by Leander Quest »

You need to have everything when playing the card. e.g. you have strength five and 2x markers...then you use it for a conservation project, get 3x markers as bonus...but you cannot use those...nor can you play association, upgrade the card on the same turn and donate...as you did not have the donate ability when starting your turn.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

SimpleYZ wrote: 27 May 2023, 19:38 I played an upgraded association action, and I got a worker, but it cannot be used in the same turn.
Yes you can. But please double check that nothing else is blocking. 99% of reports about rules are not real bugs and are just wasting our dev time.
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

If I understand your question correctly, I'm 99% sure you CAN do that. Without a game# and move# to go check, though, it's most likely you just didn't have enough power left to do an extra association action (or you selected "donate" and ended your turn before you could place the 2nd worker).

Also, remember, if you are trying to play on a location you already played on, you need an extra association worker (so 2 instead of 1 if you already have a worker there).

Multiple ways it wasn't a bug (which is unlikely at this stage), so if you can post the game and move, people can check.

Unless I'm completely misremembering and you can't use the new associate on the same turn, but I'm pretty sure you can, then my apologies.
Stroom

Post by Stroom »

Tisaac wrote: 27 May 2023, 20:07
SimpleYZ wrote: 27 May 2023, 19:38 I played an upgraded association action, and I got a worker, but it cannot be used in the same turn.
Yes you can. But please double check that nothing else is blocking. 99% of reports about rules are not real bugs and are just wasting our dev time.
Maybe it would make sense to display some kind of overlay on what you can do within one turn?

When playing animal cards, there are often so many criteria that you might miss that the animal needs a water/mountain tile or Animals II or partner zoo. When clicking on an animal card, you could highlight with a red color what is missing. Similarly with sponsor. With conservation projects, it would help if you can always see which conditions you don't meet yet (all squares are red by default and are unlocked when conditions are met).

In case of association (current problem), I think it would help if you display the "usable resources" when triggering the association. If you gain an association worker, it is not added there but if you somehow gain some money, it is automatically usable.

Also, maybe some official FAQ answers might also be helpful with each object and card but it would be harder to implement in the UI.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Stroom wrote: 28 May 2023, 05:41
Tisaac wrote: 27 May 2023, 20:07
Maybe it would make sense to display some kind of overlay on what you can do within one turn?

When playing animal cards, there are often so many criteria that you might miss that the animal needs a water/mountain tile or Animals II or partner zoo. When clicking on an animal card, you could highlight with a red color what is missing. Similarly with sponsor. With conservation projects, it would help if you can always see which conditions you don't meet yet (all squares are red by default and are unlocked when conditions are met).

In case of association (current problem), I think it would help if you display the "usable resources" when triggering the association. If you gain an association worker, it is not added there but if you somehow gain some money, it is automatically usable.

Also, maybe some official FAQ answers might also be helpful with each object and card but it would be harder to implement in the UI.
But that's false ! If you gain a worker during action, you can use it !
The UI is already filled up with helpers and reminders, you Can hover on an animal card to know wheter you can play it or not already. The strength and original side of an action card is clearly displayed in the title bar so that even if you upgrade your card during your action, it's clear that it wont change that part. On the association board there is a reminder of the fact that you need two workers if there is already one or yours on a spot. On your personnal board you have the reminder about needing to upgrade association before taking a third partner zoo, same on reputation track.
But people are still filling bug reports, even with an ALREADY EXISTING FAQ on the bug report system itself (on top of the splendid existing glossary from feuerland), so peoplz just need to understand that the adaptation is working. I expect to still receive these kind of reports for a while but then it will most likely calm down (as it was the case when i released Agricola where we got similar issue)
Stroom

Post by Stroom »

Tisaac wrote: 28 May 2023, 07:27
But that's false ! If you gain a worker during action, you can use it !
The UI is already filled up with helpers and reminders, you Can hover on an animal card to know wheter you can play it or not already. The strength and original side of an action card is clearly displayed in the title bar so that even if you upgrade your card during your action, it's clear that it wont change that part. On the association board there is a reminder of the fact that you need two workers if there is already one or yours on a spot. On your personnal board you have the reminder about needing to upgrade association before taking a third partner zoo, same on reputation track.
But people are still filling bug reports, even with an ALREADY EXISTING FAQ on the bug report system itself (on top of the splendid existing glossary from feuerland), so peoplz just need to understand that the adaptation is working. I expect to still receive these kind of reports for a while but then it will most likely calm down (as it was the case when i released Agricola where we got similar issue)
Good points. I haven't played much with the newest versions so I have to look again.

Sure it seems frustrating to see the same or invalid reports time after time but that's how it often is when there are so many testers. Most people don't know what others have reported and might post duplicates. Or they don't know the rules as much as others.

Either way, with as complex game as this, it might be impossible to create a UI that would be intuitive to everyone. It is the most intuitive to the person who creates it but not everyone thinks that way. I get your frustration about it. Keep going, doing good job so far.

Edit: I played another solo game and it has really improved a lot. Feels like it gets much better week after week. Really good job!
mturton

Post by mturton »

In this vein, I have played Upgraded Association Card at 2 for the 2 rep and not been offered the opportunity to make a donation. Is this a bug, or some rule I do not know?

Also, last night, I was able to play a conservation project twice (I restarted the turn). I had played in a high slot but it also let me play in the lowest (2 strength slot). Is that a bug or is that a rule I do not know about?
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

mturton wrote: 31 May 2023, 02:28 In this vein, I have played Upgraded Association Card at 2 for the 2 rep and not been offered the opportunity to make a donation. Is this a bug, or some rule I do not know?

Also, last night, I was able to play a conservation project twice (I restarted the turn). I had played in a high slot but it also let me play in the lowest (2 strength slot). Is that a bug or is that a rule I do not know about?
Again, anything weird that you encounter that is not a big red error is not a bug. With more than 130 000 games played, the only potential bugs about rules are some very niche/edge cases.
Also, without giving any additional context, it's hard to help you figure out your issue. First case is probably just missing money I would say, and second one is the sponsor card that let you support a project more than once probably...
fasterfrog

Post by fasterfrog »

Thanks all for reply. I have finished 33 games now and confirmed that I don't see the issue anymore. So I guess the action was just blocked by some restrictions. There is not any hint for what blocked it so it is hard for beginners to know the reason. I understand it is the nature of a complex game.

Return to “Ark Nova”