russian block

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
mcl

russian block

Post by mcl »

I cannot report this anywhere else and giving 3 red thumbs will not solve this 'problem' - I just accidentally joined my second game of Bang with Russian players *, * and *. They chat in Russian, revealing who they are and what THEIR strategy will be. It irritated me the previous game, it irritated me even more this time. This is not fair play! If nothing else, I can at least warn other players.

*moderator edit: please do not use the Forums to call players out by name, you should use Red Thumbs and Moderation reports for this. This is a place for general discussion only.
ChiefPointThief

Re: russian block

Post by ChiefPointThief »

Care to share exactly what type of things were being said? This topic is already discussed several times here. According to several people in the community what they did is perfectly fine because they could be “bluffing” about telling what strategies they will do and what roles they have. As long as they don’t directly tell another player exactly what card to play all talking is fine. They can even tell people what cards to play indirectly according to some people and that isn’t cheating.

Also there appears to be moderations going across the forums for posting users names so you probably will be moderated ;)
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

ChiefPointThief wrote: 01 June 2023, 01:00 Care to share exactly what type of things were being said? This topic is already discussed several times here. According to several people in the community what they did is perfectly fine because they could be “bluffing” about telling what strategies they will do and what roles they have. As long as they don’t directly tell another player exactly what card to play all talking is fine. They can even tell people what cards to play indirectly according to some people and that isn’t cheating.

Also there appears to be moderations going across the forums for posting users names so you probably will be moderated ;)
Even with what you said, doing so in russian when there are other people who don't understand is extremely rude
mcl

Post by mcl »

The things said are which cards to play against which player (described in an insulting way)! Then (after finding out I can read what they wrote) I was discussed. This is NOT the usual 'bang'bluffing', this is downright CHEATING.
Yorgad

Post by Yorgad »

Telling what card to play is not allowed by the rules.
Telling your role is however allowed (although most players dislike this possibility).
Chatting in Russian is not rude per se, not everyone knows how to speak English. That's why you have the Google translate feature in the chat. At least they are chatting "publicly" which follows BGA etiquette.
If you don't like Russian players speaking Russian, you may politely ask to switch to English if they wish, or give them a red thumb otherwise so you won't play with them again (yes this is exactly how to solve your 'problem') instead of complaining on the forum towards one specific nationality which clearly sounds xenophobic to me (let's be clear, it could be any nationality, really).

Cheers,
Y.
KuWizard

Post by KuWizard »

That's an interesting coincidence that one of Bang developers is Russian as well. But this is just ironic and not really related.
I totally support Yorgad here. I can see tables having all players of one nationality not knowing English and they speak their language in chat, that happens but creating a topic on forum telling about a specific nationality is not a great thing to do.

Return to “Bang”