Bug on guard movement?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Ditto11

Bug on guard movement?

Post by Ditto11 »

referring to this game: #364969174

Early in the game, we had a guard who moved erratically. The pathing indicator on the map showed 1 path, however, the guard then moved along a completely different path.

After the Peterman has his second turn, not the guard's pathing on the map.
After the Raven's next turn, note the path the guard actually moves.

Wondering if this has been seen before, and what might be causing it ?
Ditto11

Re: Bug on guard movement?

Post by Ditto11 »

question .. as I'm new here, didn't find the bug report option .. which I have now ... and was going to file this bug.
However, after scanning, I see that this bug was already reported back in Aug 2022.

I know most sites have necro-thread policies, wondering howit applies to bug reports ? Can I post an update there with this gameplay for additional "evidence" ? or should I file a new bug?
Earthboundia

Post by Earthboundia »

Ditto11 wrote: 09 April 2023, 02:24 referring to this game: #364969174

Early in the game, we had a guard who moved erratically. The pathing indicator on the map showed 1 path, however, the guard then moved along a completely different path.

I've looked over this game and everything seems fine. It's possible that the change in path might have been due to an alarm which changed the guards path to a new one since the new one required less movement.
Ditto11

Post by Ditto11 »

Earthboundia wrote: 14 April 2023, 18:31 I've looked over this game and everything seems fine. It's possible that the change in path might have been due to an alarm which changed the guards path to a new one since the new one required less movement.
What do you mean? there was no alarms .

the path shown on the minimap showed 1 path .. the guard actually moved another route ??
how is that "fine" ? O.o

Sorry, just not following your logic there.

here's a screen shot of the issue:
burgle_bros_pathing.png
burgle_bros_pathing.png (428.89 KiB) Viewed 644 times
Minimap clearly shows the intended path .. however, when you click next, guard will move along the arrow path .

the after effect:
burgle_bros_pathing2.png
burgle_bros_pathing2.png (453.41 KiB) Viewed 644 times
clearly shows him moving off his indicated pathing .. and we lost stealth because of it :(
Earthboundia

Post by Earthboundia »

Ditto11 wrote: 09 April 2023, 02:24 referring to this game: #364969174

Ok yeah, I see what you mean now. The error is in the displayed path. The guard actually followed the correct path. Since both paths are of equal length the guard will always take the clockwise route.

When I was looking at the replay I was looking at the guards movement rather than the displayed path in the corner.
Ditto11

Post by Ditto11 »

Earthboundia wrote: 16 April 2023, 14:44 Ok yeah, I see what you mean now. The error is in the displayed path. The guard actually followed the correct path. Since both paths are of equal length the guard will always take the clockwise route.

When I was looking at the replay I was looking at the guards movement rather than the displayed path in the corner.
Ok .. so what is the logic then? how does it decide ?

Does S have priority over W if distance equal ?
If so, what are the priorities? I heard something about clockwise ... is priority NESW ?
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

Ditto11 wrote: 16 April 2023, 21:23If so, what are the priorities? I heard something about clockwise ... is priority NESW ?
I took lot of time to understand it. Each map will have only one path, except for one.
Imagine that exception is a circle, you will take that circle in clockwise direction in case of a tie.

I believe with dynamite, there is two circles, and i suppose you could find a case where you need to choose to do one of the two circles clockwise and the other one anti-clockwise, and here i don't know what should get the priority.
Ditto11

Post by Ditto11 »

So I've been doing more research on this .. got my dev account setup, pulled the Burgle bros code, and started trying to understand it ..

I do believe there is a flaw in the logic for the pathing .. but I suspect it's minor, and unrelated to the issue above (which seems like it's specifically an issue with the minimap path .. I'm still trying to understand that logic better) ..

however, in just trying to understand the basic logic .. I was able to come up with a "test case" (which I have to practically test yet in a copy of BurgleBros when I get time) ... that seems to have the current code pick "incorrectly?" based on rules .. I posted a thread over on BBG to try to clarify the raw rules better ..
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/309395 ... ions-guard

the sample case at the end shows a forced scenario ... in both cases, should follow the path specified, however, (if I'm reading the code correctly), will result in case 2 taking the "other path" ..

since logic is set to prefer initial move of "Down" vs "Left", when orientation of target is NW of the current spot.
Of course, trying to come up with logic that actually figures out clockwise pathing is .... not trivial .. :P so there isn't likely much to be done.

I want to start looking closer at the minimap path generation, as it appears the times it gets it wrong, it's the minimap display that's wrong .. calculated at 1 time .. and then as the guard moves, the choice changes ... (still work in progress .. :P )

Return to “Burgle Bros.”