Groups Stage

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
patsyish

Groups Stage

Post by patsyish »

The first stage is the the Groups Stage and the second stage is the Final. Why the whole thing is named "Groups Stage"?
I.e. "Group Eliminination", "Group qualifying", "Group qualifications" would be more descriptive names.

Does the second stage start immediatedly when the first stage has ended?

There is possibility to set 5 "match dates" for the Tournament starting today (Kaverit Open • Two Rounds). What are those dates for, perhaps the date of first round and second round? Or perhaps the dates of the matches 1,2,3, 4 and 5 of the second round?
Siu! :)
gillyhl

Re: Groups Stage

Post by gillyhl »

Bumping this as I want to know how the match dates work for a group stage tournament. I want to do a tournament with 8 groups of 8 round robin with the top 2 going to a knockout tournament, which would ideally mean there are 7 match dates for the first stage, and then 4 matches for the second stage, but there's only ever 5 match dates shown. How would I make this work so that I can set the dates for the 7 round robin matches happen one after another.
NCFCRulz

Post by NCFCRulz »

They don't reply because they don't care about tournaments :(
mrdoctor

Post by mrdoctor »

gillyhl wrote: 03 July 2023, 09:47 Bumping this as I want to know how the match dates work for a group stage tournament. I want to do a tournament with 8 groups of 8 round robin with the top 2 going to a knockout tournament, which would ideally mean there are 7 match dates for the first stage, and then 4 matches for the second stage, but there's only ever 5 match dates shown. How would I make this work so that I can set the dates for the 7 round robin matches happen one after another.
Round robin matches all start simultaneously 👍
gillyhl

Post by gillyhl »

mrdoctor wrote: 24 July 2023, 01:00
gillyhl wrote: 03 July 2023, 09:47 Bumping this as I want to know how the match dates work for a group stage tournament. I want to do a tournament with 8 groups of 8 round robin with the top 2 going to a knockout tournament, which would ideally mean there are 7 match dates for the first stage, and then 4 matches for the second stage, but there's only ever 5 match dates shown. How would I make this work so that I can set the dates for the 7 round robin matches happen one after another.
Thank you for clarifying!
bossekaka

Post by bossekaka »

@mrdoctor When you say that, do you mean that each player's all matches will start at the same time? That there's no way to get all first matches to be played before match 2 etc?
Don't know how to interpret your thumbs-up - do you find that being a good feature? :)
mrdoctor

Post by mrdoctor »

bossekaka wrote: 06 November 2023, 19:32
@mrdoctor When you say that, do you mean that each player's all matches will start at the same time? That there's no way to get all first matches to be played before match 2 etc?
Don't know how to interpret your thumbs-up - do you find that being a good feature? :)
As far as I'm aware there's no way to make round-robin matches sequential rather than simultaneous, but in saying that I've not tried to change any tournament settings to 100% test that theory - maybe you can? Any premium member can set up a tournament.

My thumbs-up was just a thumbs-up. I don't feel in any way positively or negatively in the way round-robins work on BGA - it is how it is, and it'd be far far down my list of changes I'd like to make to BGA's tournament system so I haven't really given it any thought.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

mrdoctor wrote: 09 November 2023, 21:20
bossekaka wrote: 06 November 2023, 19:32 @mrdoctor When you say that, do you mean that each player's all matches will start at the same time? That there's no way to get all first matches to be played before match 2 etc?
As far as I'm aware there's no way to make round-robin matches sequential rather than simultaneous
Yes there is a way to give staggered start times to round-robin matches. See my post in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=151349#p151349
mrdoctor

Post by mrdoctor »

Mathew5000 wrote: 11 November 2023, 18:42
mrdoctor wrote: 09 November 2023, 21:20
bossekaka wrote: 06 November 2023, 19:32 @mrdoctor When you say that, do you mean that each player's all matches will start at the same time? That there's no way to get all first matches to be played before match 2 etc?
As far as I'm aware there's no way to make round-robin matches sequential rather than simultaneous
Yes there is a way to give staggered start times to round-robin matches. See my post in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=151349#p151349
Did that definitely work? The tournament didn't have enough sign-ups to actually start. Have you got an example where a tournament was set up like this, started, and it went as planned?
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

mrdoctor wrote: 12 November 2023, 19:14
Mathew5000 wrote: 11 November 2023, 18:42 Yes there is a way to give staggered start times to round-robin matches. See my post in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=151349#p151349
Did that definitely work? The tournament didn't have enough sign-ups to actually start. Have you got an example where a tournament was set up like this, started, and it went as planned?
I have a vague recollection that it did work, but I can't find the details now. I created another test tournament, with a minimum of only four players, so this one should fill up and we can confirm the staggered start times work as anticipated: https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=250436

It's supposed to be:
tournament start (and first match): Nov. 14 at 23:00 PST
second match: Nov. 22 at 21:30 PST
third match: Nov. 28 at 21:45 PST

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”