Any interest in a league system with relegation and promotion?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
cowboy_dan

Any interest in a league system with relegation and promotion?

Post by cowboy_dan »

I don’t see much discussion of specific tournaments in the Tournaments forum so I’m posting here. Let me know if there’s a better place.

One of the things I like about European football is the system of promotion and relegation, where the top teams from lower leagues get to play in a higher division the next year, and the lowest ranked teams are demoted to a lower league. I would like to set up a Castles of Burgundy league along these lines. There would be 20 players in division 1, 20 in division B, and 24 in division C. These would be swiss pairings, 12 matcches, with the top 4 in division C and B promoted to B and A, respectively. In addition, like the FA cup, there would be a concurrent knockout tournament with players from all leagues.

Respond here if you’re interested. I would use 7 days/match, in my experience usually it goes faster, but sometimes you get a paring with a timezone mismatch and you need those extra days to finish. I could be convinced to do full round robin instead.
SOCAYON

Re: Any interest in a league system with relegation and promotion?

Post by SOCAYON »

I LIKE IT.
levs80

Post by levs80 »

Yes, count me in!
shakeszoola

Post by shakeszoola »

I think it would be tough to get the numbers needed for this, but I'm in.
cowboy_dan

Post by cowboy_dan »

I’ve opened up the knockout cup as a single elimination tournament.

https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=216021

As this is the inaugural season, registration is open. Registering for this tournament will get you an invite to the swiss/round robin league.
Ra1ro

Post by Ra1ro »

If there is enough very strong players in first league then I'm also interested :)
cowboy_dan

Post by cowboy_dan »

Ra1ro wrote: 04 June 2023, 13:30 If there is enough very strong players in first league then I'm also interested :)
Awesome! Best thing to do is encourage others to join.
cowboy_dan

Post by cowboy_dan »

There is one spot available in division 1 (13/14 round robin) and three spots available in division 2 (25/28 swiss 12 matches). Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll send you an invite. Starts June 30.
cowboy_dan

Post by cowboy_dan »

The first season has drawn to a close. 138 players competed across three divisions, and 128 took part in the knockout cup.

Congratulations to the inaugural league winners:
Division 1 - shakeszoola
Division 2 - Joyce Z
Division 3 - sd64 (to the highest ranked finisher not in Division 1 or 2)

and the Cup winner - dachnick

Interested in working your way to the top? The Autumn leagues begin October 8. Division 3 registration is open to all: https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=224380 (not intended for those participating in Leagues 1 or 2)

Knockout cup begins October 12, registration is open to all participating in division 1,2, or 3, as well as anyone else who likes knockout tournaments: https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=225072

Return to “The Castles of Burgundy”