Splendor tutorial: translation not working properly

BGA localization discussions
Thomas

Re: Splendor tutorial: translation not working properly

Post by Thomas »

cigma wrote: 31 May 2023, 07:34
Nastaa wrote: 29 May 2023, 16:16 I find useful to have them in the order they appear in the tutorial when I translate...
Me too! This should not be changed for such a very rare bug!
I didn‘t mean to change the order in the translation headquarter. I suggested that when text gets displayed during the game or on the website, the translation function should replace terms in order of length from longest to shortest, so that sub-terms (e.g. single words) don’t get translated when there is a translation entry for a longer term (whole sentence). I absolutely agree that the sort order in the translation headquarter should stay as it appears in tutorials, because it is useful to have context.
Nidhoeggr42

Post by Nidhoeggr42 »

Thomas wrote: 31 May 2023, 07:52 I didn‘t mean to change the order in the translation headquarter. I suggested that when text gets displayed during the game or on the website, the translation function should replace terms in order of length from longest to shortest, so that sub-terms (e.g. single words) don’t get translated when there is a translation entry for a longer term (whole sentence). I absolutely agree that the sort order in the translation headquarter should stay as it appears in tutorials, because it is useful to have context.
I totally like that idea :)
That would solve the issue and people wouldn't have to work around that bug in every translatable string.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I stumbled upon another text that does not get translated, because the term "or" is translated before a longer term (including "or") gets translated:

tutorial comment, that is not translated:
https://imgur.com/a/jvlMcjF

even so the translation text exists:
https://imgur.com/a/12oJEcN

Edit: it is the tutorial for "Llittle Factory"
Nidhoeggr42

Post by Nidhoeggr42 »

Exactly the same issue with the word "or" happens in the tutorial for Halma/Chinese Checkers.

Here the resulting text using the translation for "or" twice ;)

And here are the translated texts:
The translated strings are not new.
ufm

Post by ufm »

Contact the tutorial creator and ask them to fix 'or' into something else
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

Same problem with the Elawa tutorial.
VP (translated to Poäng) appears first as its own string, and then as part of a sentence. In the sentence, only VP is translated, and the rest of the sentence is untranslated.
elawa.jpg
elawa.jpg (97.56 KiB) Viewed 659 times
Hmm. VP is part of a list. Only "VP" is in the string, the "1. " is added with the list formatting.
Removing the list formatting, and changing the string to "1. VP" should fix it.

Still, it's bug that should be adressed, and just putting band-aid on it is not a long term solution.
ufm

Post by ufm »

Of course it needs a permanent fix, but honestly for BGA admins the priority of this is quite low.
At least band-aids should be applied while waiting for the bug fix.
Nastaa

Post by Nastaa »

I suggested a change in the string for Splendor and it was accepted very quickly, thank you very much to the person who accepted it :)
I did this change from the translation center because that seem an official way to suggest a change, and because if I understood correctly, a change through there does not require to retranslate the string in all languages (I thought it was a good idea, no need to retranslate it if we just need the English string to be changed). However, it did not fixed the issue, as the tutorial seems to still use the old replacement pattern. :( More details:
  • In English, in the translation center now it says "Green... Why Green?" (2 strings) whereas when playing the tutorial it appears as "Green... Why Green...".
  • In French and Italian (but I assume it's similar for other languages) it has not changed compared to before.
Does someone knows when the system checks for patterns of string redundancy in English? Is it only when the tutorial goes live and when a live tutorial is updated by the tutorial maker? Did I misunderstood something?
ufm

Post by ufm »

The system checks the original string in the code (in this case, tutorial plaintext)
Nastaa

Post by Nastaa »

I see, thank you ufm! I will thus contact the tutorial maker of Splendor.

Edit: I tried to direct message as I have already done with other tutorial makers, but when it's a founder of BGA apparently you get sent to the support page. So I sent a message to the support instead and we'll see if it works.

Return to “Translations”