Suggestion: Player Aids Up Top & Larger Aids, Too

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
blhootz

Suggestion: Player Aids Up Top & Larger Aids, Too

Post by blhootz »

Hi there. Thank you for implementing this game on BGA. I feel it's got great potential for me and my friends, but as a newbie, and in thinking about teaching it to my newbie friends, there's one thing that I think would help us immensely. Could the player aids (Epoch Summary & cost of coins for each epoch) please be added as a graphic element in the playing area? There's a lot of empty space available as I currently see it on my screen, but if it seems too busy for you, maybe it could at least be an option that each player could toggle on or off? Anyway, it would really help us newbies who are learning the game to be able to see it all the time.

Additionally, when you hover over a card, it appears a little larger in a pop-up, but only a *tiny bit* larger. I'd love to see those cards come up even larger to make it way easier to see them. It's not like there's a lot of writing on them or anything, but the magnification factor on the cards as they are now is so small as to be nearly negligible. (Contrast that with the colonies cards which pop up at nearly 2x the size. And those could stand to be a little larger, themselves, even.)

Oh, and while I'm at it, how about one more slight alteration? Yes, if I know what I'm looking for and where, I can tell how many coins I currently have. But really, I'd love to see that much larger and bolder in my playing area so that my coins-in-hand is just so darn obvious. And possibly even the other key factors of how many cards I have on my board and what my food score currently is. Again, yes, I know I can count them up or look up at the score area in the top right. I'm just saying that for many of us — including for those whose eyesight may not be the best — the clearer and more obvious these things are, the more helpful they are, and the easier it will be for us to play and enjoy this game's implementation.

Thanks again, and thank you for considering these minor, but helpful improvements. :-)
Ez0ah

Re: Suggestion: Player Aids Up Top & Larger Aids, Too

Post by Ez0ah »

The player aids are already implemented. There is a button « need help? » under the player names which will display the various aids (epoch summary, medal costs, discard gold gain per epoch,…)
blhootz

Post by blhootz »

Thanks for pointing that out. It's pretty small and inconspicuous, so it was easy to overlook. Some with small screens may even have to scroll down to find it. But now that I know where it is, that'll certainly help with things. (Although I don't think that having an option to keep that on screen is that crazy of an idea.) That said, it'll work, so thanks.

The other requests for larger, clearer coin counts and card rollovers are still on the table.
blhootz

Post by blhootz »

The other requests for larger, clearer coin counts and card rollovers are still on the table.
In fact, I just got burned by the lack of this right now. I looked up to see how many coins I had, saw a gold circle with a 6 next to it, and bought a card. Turns out, that gold circle represents my track number. And yes, I get it, I'm a newbie, and I'll learn to look at the proper icon. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who's going to make that mistake. So why not at least make the coin counts to the right of your own player board graphically big and beautiful and not easy to overlook?

Thanks again for considering these changes.
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

Yeah I agree that available coins should be more visible.
gamerdork

Post by gamerdork »

Myself and 2 friends VERY MUCH second, third, and fourth the OP suggestion to show the player aid up top by the game board. Plenty of room for it, no reason not to make the change, yeah?

Happy gaming!
Sir Heo

Post by Sir Heo »

Sorry, I could come over this just now. Would you say that these suggestions are still relevant? There were some improvements in the meantime and I'm not sure if they still apply. Regarding a permanent player aid there is plenty of space but only for big screens resolutions, the space is significantly reduced even for a normal 15'' laptop and practically non-existent for mobile devices :-/

I'd however suggest that you create these suggestions in the game reports page:
https://boardgamearena.com/bugs?game=1755

I'll consider them depending on the upvoting.

Thanks for playing Hadara!
Sir Heo

Post by Sir Heo »

Btw, bigger cards tooltips are already in place ;-)

Return to “Hadara”