No even number of turns

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Mizio66

No even number of turns

Post by Mizio66 »

I don’t like the fact that the first who crosses the finish line wins immediately, without an even number of turns in the game. The first to start has a huge advantage…
imResting

Re: No even number of turns

Post by imResting »

Thank you. You are right. There is a first player advantage. It is not big because first round normaly doesnt score much, but in a four player game it is more significant.

When players get better at the game and are more carefull with giving bonus points this very much evens out. And expericend players most often beat new players no matter who starts. BUT it is still there no doubt.

No game is perfectly balanced and this being a family game we have concentrated on simple rather than balanced. But in a BGA setting where people play more competitive it gets more pronounced, and other aspects of the game comes out than in offline games. And fairness is important and we are looking closely at comments like this. so thank you for letting us know.

Jonas from
(SETUP development team)
Mizio66

Post by Mizio66 »

Thanks Jonas.
I would also suggest to allow some bonus or limitation on the common tiles. Limit to a number (based on the ones played from own set) or like if one picks more than 2 from the common reserve, then the other players might get some advantage, like getting to change one+ of own tiles for free or getting first in turn (meaning 2 consecutive turns) or an additional point. I like the game, but find it unbalanced in some aspects, so trying to see if there is any possible change to smooth it. I understand simplicity, but that should not affect the balance and make luck too much important. Keep the good things coming!
imResting

Post by imResting »

A lot of fun suggestions. We wont change the game in any major way. But we are looking at feedback and taking it serious. So it is much appreciated with this kind of feedback.
Hagardunor

Post by Hagardunor »

Mizio66 wrote: 14 March 2023, 00:14 I don’t like the fact that the first who crosses the finish line wins immediately, without an even number of turns in the game. The first to start has a huge advantage…
I have just played my first game and I completely agree. There is an enormous advantage to start first.

And a huge drawback to start last : it's as if all other players had 3 or 4 places before you. Whatever clever (or not) you are, in a game of four your are almost certainly sure not to be first
Last edited by Hagardunor on 06 August 2023, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.
JermyD

Post by JermyD »

imResting wrote: 07 June 2023, 13:37 A lot of fun suggestions. We wont change the game in any major way. But we are looking at feedback and taking it serious. So it is much appreciated with this kind of feedback.
I do not know if it would be hard or long to implement, but here is a suggestion : play in two rounds for 2 players games (or 2 vs 2), 3 rounds for 3 players games, 4 rounds for 4 players games, and change the first to start each time.

For a 3 players game for example, the order could be :
  • 1st round : 1 2 3
  • 2nd round : 3 1 2
  • 3rd round : 2 1 3
This way, all players would have started a round at all places possible, and may be this could balance the advantage of starting first
Hagardunor

Post by Hagardunor »

I QUIT !

The first player to start has much too advantage with the rule that stops the game for the first one crossing the line.

Sorry for the developpers, but this rule is completely crazy.
GTSchemer

Post by GTSchemer »

The next update will change this rule so by default, all players get an even number of turns.
Hagardunor

Post by Hagardunor »

GTSchemer wrote: 04 August 2023, 15:46 The next update will change this rule so by default, all players get an even number of turns.

firework.gif
firework.gif (491.29 KiB) Viewed 379 times
GTSchemer

Post by GTSchemer »

The update has been released. The option is only available in normal (non-team) mode, since team mode uses different scoring.

By default, the option is enabled in all live normal (non-team) games. It can be turned off at new tables by using the "First to finish line" option.

Return to “SetUp”