Stealing rep from someone with lower rep than you.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
emmapants

Stealing rep from someone with lower rep than you.

Post by emmapants »

I just have to vent because this is such a messed up way to play the game. It's punching down and feels like it goes against the spirit of the game— although I guess there wouldn't be any way to regulate it. I just want to call it out as bad sportsmanship.
Panthergirl

Re: Stealing rep from someone with lower rep than you.

Post by Panthergirl »

emmapants wrote: 20 May 2023, 22:03 I just have to vent because this is such a messed up way to play the game. It's punching down and feels like it goes against the spirit of the game— although I guess there wouldn't be any way to regulate it. I just want to call it out as bad sportsmanship.
Agreed! I suppose some people do this if they see you as a potential threat. Not sure what other motivation there could be. Anyway it sucks when it happens.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

emmapants wrote: 20 May 2023, 22:03 It's punching down and feels like it goes against the spirit of the game—
Does it? In real life (I mean "real" real life, not playing the physical game), would you rather go against a family that everyone knows and respects or against someone nobody cares about?
Patman13

Post by Patman13 »

You mean with one of the attack ladies / servants hall?

While it is aggressive, it's still wise in the overall scheme of the game. Perhaps you delay the opponent from activating something that costs 3, or maybe hold them off from playing that rep 6 prestige guest.
Most importantly, if it means they finish the game with 7 or 8 rep instead of 9, you've kept them from scoring points. This is particularly strong in two player, where withholding points from your opponent is essentially the sae thing as scoring points for yourself.
TheReeve

Post by TheReeve »

This is the purpose of the Friendly variant, where stealing reputation is not allowed. Gossip is in the game because that was the #1 sport of the Victorian aristocratic back-biting culture. But you can avoid it if you want by selecting Friendly.
emmapants

Post by emmapants »

I'm talking about in a game where your opponent is getting up to 7 or 8 rep and you're stuck at 2 or 3 because they keep stealing from you. I seriously couldn't do anything in the game because I didn't have the rep.
TheReeve wrote: 22 May 2023, 15:13 This is the purpose of the Friendly variant, where stealing reputation is not allowed. Gossip is in the game because that was the #1 sport of the Victorian aristocratic back-biting culture. But you can avoid it if you want by selecting Friendly.
Except then you risk running into the servants problem if they haven't selected Polite Society also. AND you can't play Friendly in Arena games. I'm not complaining about the tactic in general, I think it makes so much sense especially if someone is getting ahead of you. I just think completely disabling your opponent with it is poor sportsmanship.
Miroku20X6

Post by Miroku20X6 »

Disabling your opponent sounds like a good way to secure a win. Certainly in a 2-player game they should beat you down as hard as possible. If there are 3-4 players then they should be trying to beat down their strongest competition to win rather than simply beating down the player in worst shape.

Keep in mind that there is a “leave and concede” button if you are so far out of it that you wouldn’t enjoy continuing (I would not recommend this in a 3-4 player game, but reasonable in a 2-player game).
Da Pyrate

Post by Da Pyrate »

I was initially taken aback by the confrontational nature of the Rumour Mill.

I have now got over it. It is part of the game.

I found the Friendly Version of the game to be incredibly confrontational, as your opponent would take both Ladies Maids, crippling you, and you having not counter to it.

With maturity and experience, comes wisdom - for some of us.

I have used the Rumour Mill and lost games. I have been the victim of the Rumour Mill and won games.

I think it is much more potent in the two-player game, and certainly more potent if obtained early. If your opponent has it, you must change your plan. Do things that will allow your reputation to grow. Keeping your opponent down very low limits the buildings and guests they can use. The National Holiday is your friend in this situation.

One of the things that I really like about Obsession is that, depending on the rule variations you choose, you will make the style of play used very different in each game. I have now accepted that the Rumour Mill exsists. Early in the game I try to grab it. During the last two seasons it is a very minor issue.

Great Job Dan!!!
thevintagenester

Post by thevintagenester »

I agree with you that it feels like bad sportsmanship. People are brutal with it and I’m of a mind that if you’re a good enough player you wouldn’t need it.

I am seeing the responses and a few of them have been opponents of mine who’ve used both the stealing servants options and rumor mill repeatedly and for no reason (my being at 2 or 3 and they being at 8 or 9). I can guess which ones are men and which ones are women.

It raises an interesting question which gender utilizes it freely and which one hesitates. Traditionally women are conditioned to be more considerate while men are conditioned to get all that they can regardless of who they have to step on. Just thinking out loud...
KiuIras

Post by KiuIras »

thevintagenester wrote: 04 September 2023, 23:16 It raises an interesting question which gender utilizes it freely and which one hesitates. Traditionally women are conditioned to be more considerate while men are conditioned to get all that they can regardless of who they have to step on. Just thinking out loud...
I don't think is a gender related thing. I suppose that if you deeply know the game you are aware that you can lose also when your opponent's rep is 2 and your is MAX.

I also think everyone should choose the variation they are comfortable with instad of complain about people who play by the rules.

Return to “Obsession”