BGA trademark reference

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
apozem

BGA trademark reference

Post by apozem »

Hello, I am working on a simple browser extension to hide the chat on this website. Nothing fancy, just a little CSS to remove the chat box on days where you don't feel like talking.

I want to call the extension Mute Chat for BoardGameArena, so users know what the extension is made for, but I don't want to run afoul of BGA's trademark.

Other companies, like Apple, allow you to use their trademark to advertise compatibility with their products. So, for example, I could name an extension Dark Mode for Safari, but not Safari Dark Mode. I don't know if BGA handles things similarly.

Is it okay to use this name if I make sure to specify the extension works with BGA, but is not from them?

(apologies if this is not the right forum for this question. The developer section seems more geared toward building games)
ufm

Re: BGA trademark reference

Post by ufm »

Unless you charge them, why not. There are already other BGA extensions:
viewtopic.php?t=30509
viewtopic.php?t=21118
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

If you do so, explain in the plugin description that it is not "official" and player should not complain about BGA when a bug occurs, before trying to disable the plugin.
apozem

Post by apozem »

Blacktango wrote: 06 June 2023, 12:19 If you do so, explain in the plugin description that it is not "official" and player should not complain about BGA when a bug occurs, before trying to disable the plugin.
Great point. The store description specifies it is unofficial, but I'll make sure to ask people to come to me for support and not get mad at BGA if the extension does something unintentional.

I published the extension, by the way - works on Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

Return to “Discussions”