I made a browser extension to hide the chat

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
apozem

I made a browser extension to hide the chat

Post by apozem »

Hello! I wanted to let everyone know I made a simple browser extension to hide the chat and stop notification sounds on BGA. Perfect for days where you don't feel like talking to strangers.

The extension includes options to hide the site-wide general chat, per-table chat, private messages, or notification sounds. Click its icon in your browser window to enable and disable the extension. It doesn't access your account or stop people from sending you messages, it just stops them from appearing in your browser.

Works with Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

This is my first version of the extension, so if you try it, please let me know how it could be improved!
Snoopy_The_Dog

Re: I made a browser extension to hide the chat

Post by Snoopy_The_Dog »

Fantastic Extension.
Ze Monstah

Post by Ze Monstah »

So it's great.
I installed the Chrome version.
No bug for the moment.

2 questions/remarks:

1. The extension appears as a black/transparent BGA icon, in the Chrome link-line, at the right-top of the Chrome window.
The black icon means: extension deactivated (BGA chat available); while the transparent one means: extension activated (chat disabled).
Not a big deal, but I think some people might consider the transparent one - the deactivated version, instead of the activated one.
Perhaps some more precise icons would have been an extra-help, but as I said, it's not a big deal (especially since by clicking on the icon during the game, you can actually see the game-chat appear and disappear).

2. If I have the ext. activated during a game, and i turn it off at the end of the game or after the game, with the player having written something before, will that stuff appear when I deactivate the extension?

It is a great Extension, in my opinion.
When life gives you a ZeMon, make ZeMonade...
https://youtu.be/YlmKmM3WCpM
Snoopy_The_Dog

Post by Snoopy_The_Dog »

This superb extension just requires something to inform other players on a table that chat has been deactivated.

Moderators would be made redundant.
apozem

Post by apozem »

Ze Monstah wrote: 11 June 2023, 06:23 So it's great.
I installed the Chrome version.
No bug for the moment.

2 questions/remarks:

1. The extension appears as a black/transparent BGA icon, in the Chrome link-line, at the right-top of the Chrome window.
The black icon means: extension deactivated (BGA chat available); while the transparent one means: extension activated (chat disabled).
Not a big deal, but I think some people might consider the transparent one - the deactivated version, instead of the activated one.
Perhaps some more precise icons would have been an extra-help, but as I said, it's not a big deal (especially since by clicking on the icon during the game, you can actually see the game-chat appear and disappear).

2. If I have the ext. activated during a game, and i turn it off at the end of the game or after the game, with the player having written something before, will that stuff appear when I deactivate the extension?

It is a great Extension, in my opinion.
Great feedback, thank you! I see what you mean about the extension icon. It could be a bit more clear. I think it makes more sense to have the outline icon be "filter inactive." I'll put a little x on the filled speech bubble icon to show that it means "filter is active and hiding chats."
apozem

Post by apozem »

Snoopy_The_Dog wrote: 11 June 2023, 10:00 This superb extension just requires something to inform other players on a table that chat has been deactivated.

Moderators would be made redundant.
I would like a way to inform other people you are not reading the chat, but the only way I can think of doing that is to have the extension send a message in the chat like "[This user has muted chat]." I can't put a little mute icon next to your name in other people's browser, for example.

I worry if the extension messaged everyone else to announce you're on mute every time you started a game, that might get a bit annoying for other people.
Snoopy_The_Dog

Post by Snoopy_The_Dog »

Thank you for responding.

Could it be possible to have an icon next to the player name on a game table which shows other players that chat is deactivated?
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

This extension is installed on your browser, so it can't change BGA for anyone but you.
It might work for other players who use it, which would be a lot of work for so few players.

Maybe another easier way would be to auto-write a message in the chat at the beginning of the game, to inform the other players that you won't be seeing any more messages.
apozem

Post by apozem »

Just published an update to the extension so the icon is empty when the filter is off, and filled with an "x" when the filter is on and chat is muted.
SYushen

Post by SYushen »

Excellent! Thank you! Still I wish people could be modest and stop showing off after winning a stronger player with good luck, which happens everywhere on BGA.

Return to “Discussions”