Wrong ranking calculation in Arena - Elite/Non Elite

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
BackGa

Re: Wrong ranking calculation in Arena - Elite/Non Elite

Post by BackGa »

Remkar wrote: 21 July 2023, 04:31 No, what Euklid is saying is correct as I understand it.

Everyone's EAS *IS* changing every arena match. You just don't see it until you reach elite.

When you play an arena match 3 things occur:
1- visible ELO adjustment
2 - visible arena adjustment (bronze/silver/gold/etc)
3 - EAS adjustment (invisible until you reach elite)

So even though you don't see it until Elite Status, EAS is being adjusted every arena match. So what Euklid is saying is that no matter what rank someone is shown to be (bronze, gold, elite, etc.), the adjustment to your EAS (#3 above) will still be correct, even if #2 would be incorrect. So everyone's EAS will still be correct at the end of the season.

Does that make sense? I could probably lay it out more simply with some actual numbers tomorrow if it's still confusing.

Yes thxlp we say the same and I figured through heavy playing here as you can see in my history
BackGa

Post by BackGa »

Remkar wrote: 21 July 2023, 04:31 No, what Euklid is saying is correct as I understand it.

Everyone's EAS *IS* changing every arena match. You just don't see it until you reach elite.

When you play an arena match 3 things occur:
1- visible ELO adjustment
2 - visible arena adjustment (bronze/silver/gold/etc)
3 - EAS adjustment (invisible until you reach elite)

So even though you don't see it until Elite Status, EAS is being adjusted every arena match. So what Euklid is saying is that no matter what rank someone is shown to be (bronze, gold, elite, etc.), the adjustment to your EAS (#3 above) will still be correct, even if #2 would be incorrect. So everyone's EAS will still be correct at the end of the season.

Does that make sense? I could probably lay it out more simply with some actual numbers tomorrow if it's still confusing.
Surely does, thanks for taking time to rephrase. I finally got it pfiuu, sorry it didn't land properly at first lol

Arena has just started and I'd never blame a bad finishing on this league jumps event. It's more about the operating occurence on a platform as BGA which could hide way more; I hope not of course and we keep an eye open but it's them to get things from correct to right. Just applying their rules and processes as it is supposed to be super accurate. A short and brief communication would give a perfect match!
Thanks all, take care
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

From your answer you gave to dschingis it gets clear that you seem to have initially believed that a 0 shields/stars win also gives you 0 (hidden) EAS - which is not the case. Good that we could clarify.

Perhaps it is now also clear what I meant with my birthday present analogy: As long as you finally reach the Elite level during a season (i.e. fully unpack your present) all the previous levels (i.e. the bronze/silver/... wrapping of your present) have no meaning whatsoever. They are only there to entertain you while you are waiting for the birthday present (i.e. your EAS score) to reveal...
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Off topic: writing in colour and not using correctly the quote markup does not help readability.

Return to “Backgammon”