A Formal Check! Rule

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
CiegoHaze

A Formal Check! Rule

Post by CiegoHaze »

One of the great things about Onitama is you have all of your cards on the table, literally. You can see every move your opponent could make and your opponent has all of the same information as you do. In this game you share information because it is not about being sneaky and hoping your opponent doesn't notice, it's about being clever and using your cards the best. Sometimes we make a mistake and overlook something and lose a pawn. This is unfortunate but fighting in a dojo does require vigilance. However, winning a game because your opponent didn't realize his master was being attacked feels like a hollow victory.

Why not have an officially declared check, like in chess?
This is a rule in chess for a very good reason, and the same applies to Onitama.

When another player's master is in danger, The Honorable thing to do is remind them of the threat. Whether it is a direct attack or a discovered check, all information should be shared with all players.

I have adopted this policy for IRL games.
This is my unofficial house rule because I don't like to win on a technicality, I prefer to win by pure skill and wits alone.

Do you think this game should update the rules to include declaring check?
Ez0ah

Re: A Formal Check! Rule

Post by Ez0ah »

I don’t really think it should turn into a rule, but you can always check in the chat
CiegoHaze

Post by CiegoHaze »

The Persians (c. 700–800) introduced the idea of warning that the king was under attack (announcing check in modern terminology). This was done to avoid the early and accidental end of a game. Later the Persians added the additional rule that a king could not be moved into check or left in check.

Does the same idea not apply to Onitama?

Which game do you enjoy more, one where your opponent stumbles and loses because of a lack of awareness or one where you have masterfully out maneuvered your opponent and they have no other place to go?
Ez0ah

Post by Ez0ah »

I mean, I get your point. I could see the variant being you can’t move your master where it would be taken, rather than announcing check.
Either way, variants like this need to be approved by the editor first before they can be implemented on BGA
CiegoHaze

Post by CiegoHaze »

Of course, this issue is larger than BGA, but I think playing on BGA more and more makes it feel more relevant.
However as this is the only place to play this game online I think our community certainly has a voice and an influence over the future of board games, and if enough people agreed then we could make a more impactful presence when we suggest the rule upgrades to Arcane Wonders
CiegoHaze

Post by CiegoHaze »

After some recent discussions, I have had a change of heart. Onitama is a martial arts simulator, and in a real fight in a dojo or otherwise, no one declares "I'm attacking you". and blunders happen which lead to defeat on and off the board, so be it.
Conclusion- pay more attention and fight on!
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

I don’t think it’s necessary. It is already such a simplistic and short game, winning opportunities need to come from any possible outcome. If you feel it’s a hollow win, play a second time and give your opponent a chance to improve.

Return to “Onitama”