apprentice mode starting hand balance

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
tim_is_awesome

apprentice mode starting hand balance

Post by tim_is_awesome »

there are 4 starting hands for apprentice mode. 2 are average when compared to each other, and one is really hard to win with and the other is overpowered.
the hand that is very underwheling is the one that starts with staff of spring. i do not know what its win ratio is compared to the others, but i am guessing it is around 30%. really not sure how best to improve this one since it does have some reasonable cards in it, but it just is hard to win with in general compared to the other hands that seem to have better synergy.
the other is the very over powerd hand that has amsug and boots in it. i am guessing its win ratio is well over 70% vs all other hands. this is the hand that i really am posting about. i think that it should have the boots removed. perhaps replaced with a weak familiar.
note i am posting this presuming the hands are played by equally competent players. i find it very rare to lose with the power hand, and intermittent success with the bad one. the others seem pretty evenlly matched.
when i see the hand of fortune come out, i know the game is likely lost and try to stall the game to let the hand try to get enough to beat the it, but it is rare. perhaps it should lose the potion of life or grimoire as well. so much power in this hand. perhaps the mods have some data on these hands and can let us know overall how they go. of course that would include more novice player data. but would be interesting to note since those players would presumably be average with any starting hand and would wash out in the end.

what do others think of the starting hands?

Return to “Seasons”