Before you post or report a bug about slipstream...

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Phoxtrot

Before you post or report a bug about slipstream...

Post by Phoxtrot »

Intro

The games handles slipstream correctly.
The handling of slipstream in regard to position, speed, corner checks and heat is correct.
What we have in the warnings and logging is also correct (but there is of course some subjectivity as to what should be in logging and warnings and how best to phrase it).

You have to read the rules carefully and understand the sequence of things.

Rules

Phase 6
Slipstreaming is optional if you land next to another car, or in a Space behind a car or cars. If you choose to Slipstream, you move 2 Spaces forward. You can only Slipstream once per turn and if all the Spots in the final Space are occupied, place your car in the first Space with a free Spot behind the blocking cars. Slipstreaming does NOT increase your Speed value for the purpose of the Check Corner step.
So understand what it says and what it doesn't says.
You can only slipstream once per turn
You should know the difference between a Space and a Spot.
Slipstream doesn't increase speed but it doesn't zero the speed nor offer any immunity to anything.

Phase 7
If at any point this turn you crossed a Corner Line, you must now check if your total Speed for the round exceeds the Speed Limit of that corner (Speed = Sum of the values of all the cards in your Play Area, +1 if you used the Adrenaline Bonus). If you drive through several corners on the same turn, you must pay for each of them separately, starting with the first Corner Line you crossed.
So first thing to remember is that 7 is bigger than 6: corner checks are done after any eventual slipstream.
Second is "Any point": it doesn't matter whether you crossed the line in phase 3 (reveal), 5 (reaction) or 6 (slipstream).
Third is the definition of speed: It's ALL the cards you PLAYED (including from boost, but not the DISCARDED cards) +1 if you used adrenaline (and Slipstream is not in this count). It doesn't matter whether you played your boost or adrenaline before or after crossing the corner line: it counts.

And, of course, understand that some upgrade cards and weather effects will influence how many spaces you can slipstream.

-----------
Examples

Example 1:
- If you played cards for a total of 14 just before a speed 10 corner line and you use slipstream, you will cross that corner at speed 14 and pay 4 heat during the corner check in phase 7.

That is what the rules says (speed remained at 14) and it is what the game does.

Example 2:
- You play cards for a total of 9 and cross a speed 10 corner line (phase 3). You then use adrenaline for 1 extra move (+1 speed) (phase 5), do a boost that flips a "3" (phase 5) and use Slipstream (phase 6). Your total speed is 9 + 1 + 3 + 0 = 13 and so you take 3 heat in phase 7 for the speed 10 corner check. (If you foolishly also crossed another corner this turn, you also have to check your total speed of 13 against that other corner limit.)
Last edited by Phoxtrot on 16 February 2024, 20:08, edited 5 times in total.
santa123456

Re: Before you post or report a bug about slipstream...

Post by santa123456 »

I think it did warn me when I wanted to slipstream that it "would" have me go over the corner speed limit. (it should not)
So if I understand correctly, this is merely a messaging problem?
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

Slipstreaming can get you over the corner speed limit if the slipstreaming makes you take a corner and your actual speed is too high.
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

santa123456 wrote: 04 October 2023, 11:11 I think it did warn me when I wanted to slipstream that it "would" have me go over the corner speed limit. (it should not)
So if I understand correctly, this is merely a messaging problem?
Maybe the phrasing of the warning is not perfect but as explained above, slipstream does not gives you any immunity.

Example 1:
- If you are at speed 14 just before a speed 10 corner line and you use slipstream, you will cross that corner at speed 14 and take 4 heat (in phase 7).

That is what the rules says (speed remained at 14) and it is what the game does.

Example 2:
- You play cards for a total of 9 and cross a speed 10 corner line (phase 3). You then use adrenaline for 1 extra move (+1 speed) (phase 5), do a boost that flips a "3" (phase 5) and use Slipstream (phase 6). Your total speed is 9 + 1 + 3 + 0 = 13 and so you take 3 heat in phase 7 for the speed 10 corner check. (If you foolishly also crossed another corner this turn, you also have to check your total speed of 13 against that other corner limit.)

The fact that you crossed the corner line in phase 3 is irrelevant, what counts is that you crossed it during this turn, no matter the phase. Crossing it in phase 5 or 6 would have lead to the exact same result. And the relevant speed in phase 7 is all your speed of this round (it doesn't matter what was played before or after crossing the line).
redrazer

Post by redrazer »

Slipstreaming is 100% incorrect in the current form of the game.
Calmon70

Post by Calmon70 »

redrazer wrote: 04 November 2023, 02:00 Slipstreaming is 100% incorrect in the current form of the game.
Maybe carefully read the rules again?
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

redrazer wrote: 04 November 2023, 02:00 Slipstreaming is 100% incorrect in the current form of the game.
Sure, it's the other 30 000 players and publisher and game designer that got the rules wrong, not you.
I dont understand how people can think like this.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

100% incorrect means that every single aspect of it is wrong, including spelling, so maybe he means something completely different, even belonging to another game (or maybe not even a game). In that case yes, it's probably "incorrect" :D
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

As a side note: if they had really wanted for slipstream to give you immunity to corner checks, they would simply have put the corner check phase before the slipstream phase and no explanation at all would have been required.

But yeah, I'm a bit baffled by what some people think that "does not increase speed" means.
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

A small bump because we are still getting "bug reports" :D

Return to “Heat: Pedal to the Metal”