Games ending in a tie, last player advantage.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
GTSchemer

Re: Games ending in a tie, last player advantage.

Post by GTSchemer »

Right. I assume the players who proposed that idea are OK with continuing until the tie is broken. It likely would not last longer than another round or two.

I suspect there may be no perfect solution, because ultimately SETUP is a fun, casual game with luck of the draw as a factor. There may always be nuances where you feel "if I only had one more round I could have done something differently", but then something else happens which changes the outcome.
Hagardunor

Post by Hagardunor »

GTSchemer wrote: 23 August 2023, 15:39 Right. I assume the players who proposed that idea are OK with continuing until the tie is broken. It likely would not last longer than another round or two.
I think the same, so this rule to break the ties would most certainly not be a burden
GTSchemer wrote: 23 August 2023, 15:39 I suspect there may be no perfect solution, because ultimately SETUP is a fun, casual game with luck of the draw as a factor. There may always be nuances where you feel "if I only had one more round I could have done something differently", but then something else happens which changes the outcome.
No perfect solution probably, but fair is enough. You accept more easily to be defeated if everybody had the same chances, have then more fun to play. And I would be very excited to play a game where we have many additional ties to break.
Compass3

Post by Compass3 »

Hi all!
A possible solution could be to add another option to choose from: a player can decide to play with a "no tie" rule, meaning that a match continues until one of the players has one point more of the others.
I think this can work with both "equal turns" on or off.
SiRan90

Post by SiRan90 »

Compass3 wrote: 30 September 2023, 16:56 Hi all!
A possible solution could be to add another option to choose from: a player can decide to play with a "no tie" rule, meaning that a match continues until one of the players has one point more of the others.
It wouldn't be neccessary for equal turns turned off, as the game would end as soon as the first person passed the threshold so there would never be a tie.
cigma

Post by cigma »

SiRan90 wrote: 09 October 2023, 10:58
It wouldn't be neccessary for equal turns turned off, as the game would end as soon as the first person passed the threshold so there would never be a tie.
There still could be a tie for 2nd or 3rd place, how about that?
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
SiRan90

Post by SiRan90 »

cigma wrote: 11 October 2023, 06:42
SiRan90 wrote: 09 October 2023, 10:58
There still could be a tie for 2nd or 3rd place, how about that?
True. Thinking about if it was for 2nd and 3rd I'd just have them joint second. Having the winner locked in a game while waiting on the outcome of that would be boring, even if it's only an extra 10 minutes.
Compass3

Post by Compass3 »

I think the "no tie" rule should work only for the winner. And yes, it should work with "equal turns" on (*).
Ex-aequo for not winning positions should not be considered.
I.e., when all the players have done equal turns, and there is no tie for the first place, the game ends. Otherwise, if the game continues for the (temporary) 2nd and/or 3rd and/or 4th, one or more of them could gain enough points to surpass the 1st one. Should we continue until there is one player in each place? Not really a nice situation.

(*) I don't like to play with "equal turns" off, so I am figuring something working with it on.

Return to “SetUp”