Arena

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Fleurdelysé

Arena

Post by Fleurdelysé »

I've played Ticket to Ride on BGA for now some time. I'm playing Multi, 2 players.. and rarely, Arena. There's a reason why I am not playing Arena. My average ELO is around 700 (not that it matters), so I am not playing like majority of players (e.i. I will never place Vancouver-Seattle as a first move)

I know there have been many topics about blocking, completing tickets or finishing fast, etc.. but I would really like to talk about the many flaws of the Arena Mode. Maybe those are not shared, but I would still like your opinions.

The number of red thumbs given by player having a lower ELO (when I'm saying lower, I mean 100-200-300) is astonishing. There lies the problem of the Arena Mode, the incapacity of choosing (or filtering) our opponents. Indeed, it is Arena, we are supposed to play against opponents ranked just like us etc etc etc. But as a 700 ELO, it is boring to always have to play against 200 ranked ELO. If we look at EX-Arena Champions, who happens to be high-ranked All-Time players... they are not playing against other high ranked All-Time players. The top 1 in Arena is basically farming 100-200 ELO players. Adding the ELO filter in Arena could lower the number of red thumbs given, and give a better and actual real ranking of Arena.

And on the rare occasion that your Internet crashes, or any malfunctions one could experience.... a 700 ELO player whom time runs out loses 30 ELO points EVEN if he comes back in the game to play it. On a game he DID play. And those points are LOST, not transferred. Which lowers the overall ranking of every player (The global LOSS of points needs to be compensated by new players gaining ELO from 0 to maintain the same amount of ELO points in a pool of players)

That being said, Arena Mode isn't either fun or interesting to play for now. I hope there's a way to improve it.

Thank you
Jellby

Re: Arena

Post by Jellby »

So... you want to play against other all-time-top-elo players? Then Arena is not for you, don't play Arena. Arena is designed for short-term (current season, 3 months) memory only.
GenuineFauxFarm

Post by GenuineFauxFarm »

Jellby,

I don't think that's the point being made here.

First, many of the players with low ELO are not enjoying Arena because they run into high ELO players who use a very different strategy to play. These low ELO players aren't happy because they lose those matches and they don't like HOW they lose those matches. They express that unhappiness by giving red thumbs to their opponents.

Second, many of the players with high ELO are not enjoying Arena because they frequently play low ELO players and, while they typically win, they don't necessarily enjoy it either.

If there were a better filter system in Arena to help match up player levels, there would be fewer mismatched games, which means games both players find more interesting and enjoyable.

The problem with that is - if you put these filters in place - wait times for a game in Arena will go up. But, if that were the case, I wouldn't really mind because it would be more likely that I would be playing someone who is a better match for my skill level and style of play. Also, this may not translate well to other games.

Fleur makes other points as well, but I think this is the main issue.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

GenuineFauxFarm wrote: 18 October 2023, 15:58 If there were a better filter system in Arena to help match up player levels, there would be fewer mismatched games, which means games both players find more interesting and enjoyable.
This filter system aleady exists though. From https://boardgamearena.com/lobby choose Arena from the drop-down menu, and click the gearshift beside Ticket to Ride. One of the options is "Opponent's level" and you can choose to only play with your own level, if you want.

I believe this "level" refers not to Elo band but to the current Arena "league" (silver/gold/elite etc.). So when you're elite, and you've chosen to filter out any non-elite players, you might still face a low-elo player who happens to have also reached the elite league.

Based on Fleurdelysé's post in this thread, he or she is perhaps unaware of this filtering? Or is the filtering I referred to, only available to Premium members? I don't know.

All that being said, I agree with Jellby in this thread that based on the specific issues raised by the OP, he or she might prefer to play tournaments, in particular Swiss Style. Additionally note that the tournament creator can restrict a tournament based on Elo level (strong players, experts, etc.). For example, here's a tournament I just created that is restricted to experts and above:

https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=244667
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

Mathew5000 wrote: 19 October 2023, 21:54 This filter system aleady exists though.
It's totally useless tho, because anyone on any skill level can reach elite sooner or later, the only filter that would make sense is one based on the current (arena) Elo, the one that roughly ranges between 1000 and 2200 to be clear. But it's been forever that people ask for this feature and BGA doesn't seem to care at all

Return to “Ticket to Ride”