Puerto Rico needs a redesign

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
bnic

Re: Puerto Rico needs a redesign

Post by bnic »

I agree with the idea of redesign. I use a 27" 1440p monitor, I'm not sure what kind of monitor this size was intended for? It's extremely small.

When playing multiple turn based games, it's very annoying because Puerto Rico has to be zoomed in a lot to be readable, then you need to unzoom for the next game. I wish we could just set a zoom on the boards like many other games allow on bga.

At least, default should be bigger than that.

Remkar wrote: 18 August 2023, 01:03
sames6840 wrote: 17 August 2023, 20:21 Come on BGA. This is a great game that has stood the test of time, but this implementation needs to be updated.
BGA doesn't make the games, they just host them and provide the infrastructure.

Think of it like Steam. It is a hosting platform where other developers put games.

An independent developer needs to volunteer to program and develop the game on BGA for anything to happen. (Or, much less often, sometimes the publisher of the game hires a developer or team to make a game on here... I think that's what happened with Ark Nova, which is probably part of the reason it's so polished. But again, that has nothing to do with BGA, they just provide the platform and infrastructure.)
What your post missed is "most" games.
The developer of Puerto Rico is clearly stated as Board Game Arena.
There are developers working at BGA. Not 100% games are community developed, but most of them are.
ufm

Post by ufm »

bnic wrote: 30 November 2023, 18:06 What your post missed is "most" games.
There are developers working at BGA. Not 100% games are community developed, but most of them are.
Actually, the guy who implemented Puerto Rico has already left BGA team. And... BGA is understaffed.
Redesigning an implementation takes a lot of time and effort, but honestly it's a thankless job.
For BGA, no reason to mess with the status quo after watching how Seasons and some other 'redesigns' went.
They have more than enough troubles to deal with already.
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

bnic wrote: 30 November 2023, 18:06
Remkar wrote: 18 August 2023, 01:03
sames6840 wrote: 17 August 2023, 20:21 Come on BGA. This is a great game that has stood the test of time, but this implementation needs to be updated.
BGA doesn't make the games, they just host them and provide the infrastructure.

Think of it like Steam. It is a hosting platform where other developers put games.

An independent developer needs to volunteer to program and develop the game on BGA for anything to happen. (Or, much less often, sometimes the publisher of the game hires a developer or team to make a game on here... I think that's what happened with Ark Nova, which is probably part of the reason it's so polished. But again, that has nothing to do with BGA, they just provide the platform and infrastructure.)
What your post missed is "most" games.
Going along with what ufm said, I think when something is tagged as made by BGA, that likely refers to the original early BGA team back when BGA was first founded.

So if you see a game developed by BGA, it is likely a game that was made over a decade ago by the early team, who is no longer here.

I don't think BGA in it's current state has any paid game developers on staff. (And even the initial team was possibly making games as volunteers and not actually getting paid, although I'm not super clear on how things worked back then.)

So, yeah, BGA was founded in 2010, and Puerto Rico was developed by one of the early BGA team in 2011. So some independent volunteer would still need to take over this game for anything to be done.
mindelan

Post by mindelan »

I agree with changes needed to be made. Maybe they already have been. ~75% thru the game, I couldn't see where to place my colonists. i had glasses on and was on a large laptop too. I wanted to just move on without placing the piece, so others could go. Instead, the game kicked me out and I lost 10 approval points. Not very welcoming and it sucked for the others.
bnic

Post by bnic »

ufm wrote: 30 November 2023, 20:44
bnic wrote: 30 November 2023, 18:06 What your post missed is "most" games.
Actually, the guy who implemented Puerto Rico has already left BGA team. And... BGA is understaffed.
Redesigning an implementation takes a lot of time and effort, but honestly it's a thankless job.
For BGA, no reason to mess with the status quo after watching how Seasons and some other 'redesigns' went.
They have more than enough troubles to deal with already.
I understand that it feels disappointing when people criticize your work, people tend to hate change, but after a while they get used to it and wouldn't go back. Some people need to have the vision to make the change happen for the better.

So, well, I wish you'd change your mind, but could it be at least possible to make the default zoom bigger? I'm not a developer so I'm not sure, but I don't think it's huge to do?

I think it's a bit absurd to have that much unused screen, and not being able to read anything.

Return to “Puerto Rico”